Few architectural typologies are as timeless as bakeries. A practice spanning thousands of years, the art of baking has diverse roots. Today, bakeries combine areas to gather, socialize, shop, and work. While industrialization and commercialization transformed the art of baking and baked goods, bakeries remain important community spaces for gathering and defining neighborhood identity.
Latest projects in Greece
Latest news in Greece
Housing is a ubiquitous typology ripe for experimentation. Exploring form, view, materials and hierarchies, residential projects center on daily life and retreat. Designed to bring people together and provide space for isolation, homes can be open and inviting, secluded and private, or both at the same time. For unbuilt housing projects, these concepts are designed to rethink traditional forms and spatial layouts in the context of local climates and landscape conditions.
Sheltered Villas in Greece and Floating Terraces in India: 10 Unbuilt Projects Submitted by our Readers
With the recent completion of several new stations and tunnels, the Athens underground metro expansion and the development of the Thessaloniki Metro system are on a set course to completion in Greece. The construction of a direct connection between the Athens airport and the Piraeus harbour, as well as the development of Thessaloniki’s first metro line, are underway, and images by photographer Pygmalion Karatzas show the new underground infrastructure coming together in the two Greek cities.
PILA, an architecture studio based in Athens and New York lead by Ilias Papageorgiou and Christina Papalexandri, was selected as the winner of an invited international competition, to regenerate the abandoned Piraeus Tower and redesign the famous building’s façade. In fact, this structure, the tallest on the port of Piraeus and the second-tallest in Greece, has never been entirely occupied.
As far as written records report, “prehistory” dates back between 35,000 BCE and 3000 BCE in the Middle East (2000 BCE in Western Europe). Ancient builders had a profound understanding of human responses to environmental conditions and physical needs. Initially, families and tribes lived together in skin-covered huts and bone structures. Thousands of years later, human settlements evolved into fortified mud-brick walls surrounding rectangular volumes with pierced openings for ventilation and sunlight.
An Alternative Museum for Burning Man and a Concrete Lighthouse: 12 Unbuilt Projects Submitted by our Readers
Gathering the best-unbuilt architecture from our readers' submissions, this curated collection features conventional, original and innovative functions. With projects from all over the world, this roundup is a conceptual discovery of different architectural approaches.
Part of ArchDaily’s mission to highlight the best Architecture in the world, we are frequently rounding up unbuilt projects submitted by our readers. In this feature, we are focusing on competition proposals, showcasing a vast variety of functions.
Meetings of Design Students or MEDS is an international workshop, taking place every summer in a different country and tackling every year a new thematic. In its 10th edition, MEDS Workshop was held in Greece, on the island of Spetses, bringing together traditional craftsmanship and contemporary approaches, resulting in 14 interdisciplinary projects.
Loading... It could take a few seconds
Popular categories in Greece
- The Ramp house / Archivirus
- Wide Open Villa / KLab architecture
- Cascading U Two-Family Residence / AREA
- The House Box In Koukaki / Sofia Tsiraki
- The Edge Summer Houses / React Architects See all »
- Supermarket in Athens / KLab architecture
- AS67 Student Housing / LoT
- Relux Ios Island / A31
- Vacation House in Karyes / Plaini and Karahalios Architects
- POLYTOPO / Z-level See all »
- Apartment in Thessaloniki / .27 Architects
- Urban Cubes / KLab
- Apartment Building in Deinokratous Street, Athens / Giorgos Aggelis
- Conversion of Doxiadis Office Building-ATI to Apartment Building / Divercity
- Uptown Residences / Iro Bertaki + Christina Loukopoulou + Costis Paniyiris See all »
- Offices and Stores Building in Athens / Potiropoulos D+L Architects
- Illy / A31 ARCHITECTURE
- EIGHT Office Complex / PEOPLE
- Winning Design Seeks to Increase Public Power Corporation Headquarter's Environmental Awareness
- Geometrical Juxtapositions Office Building Redevelopment / Tsolakis Architects See all »