Responding to a competition brief for a new archaeological museum in Nicosia, the divided capital of Cyprus, a proposal submitted by Greek architects Alkiviadis Pyliotis and Evangelos Fokialis uses the traditional elements of the line, atrium and stoa to inform the composition of the envisioned landmark. Titled "Trigonica Simplicitas," the design of the museum is intended to form a new central hub, celebrating Cypriot history and culture through the synthesis of indoor and outdoor spaces on various levels to rethink the function of a museum.
Latest projects in Cyprus
Latest news in Cyprus
Theoni Xanthi of XZA Architects has been selected as the winner in the competition to design the new archaeological museum in Cyprus. Composed of three layers corresponding to Memory, the City, and the River, Xanthi's proposal took first place in a competition that sought a new urban space to celebrate Nicosia’s history and archaeology. The project is situated in close proximity to the medieval city walls, enabling it to play a key role in altering and upgrading the existing urban and green spaces that surround it.
Paris-based firm RE: has recently completed the design for an extension and refurbishment of the Cyprus College of Art in Paphos. With the idea of continuation, rather than radical reimagination, the project extends the existing sculptural wall of the college, creating new carvings and sculptures from a series of hung perforated copper-clad sheds.
Cyprus has been shaped by a tumultuous history. Power struggles between invaders, conquerors and colonial powers have all left indelible marks on the landscape, much of which can be witnessed in the island’s capital of Nicosia.
Loading... It could take a few seconds
Popular categories in Cyprus
- Chalkidos Street Residence / Armon Choros Architects
- House In Kaimakli / Yiorgos Hadjichristou Architects
- Petros & Andri Residence / VARDAstudio
- The Antoniou Residence / Koutsoftides Architects
- Residence in Nicosia / Polytia Armos See all »
- Residence In Aglantzia / Yiorgos Hadjichristou Architects, Petros Constantinou
- Proton / Constantinos Kalisperas Architectural Studio
- Leventis Art Gallery / Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- Block 0704 / Simpraxis See all »