In this interview, presented in collaboration with PLANE—SITE, Pierre Bélanger, curator of the Canadian contribution to the 2016 Venice Biennale—explains why Canada's practices of mining and extraction should be carefully understood for their architectural implications. Together with his firm OPSYS, Bélanger conceived of a miniaturized experience of an "inverted territorial intervention" so that Biennale visitors could personally experience and relate to "the complex ecologies and vast geopolitics of resource extraction."
Architecture from Canada
Latest projects in Canada
Latest news in Canada
Montreal-based Provencher_Roy have released images of their designs for the restoration of Alexandra Pier and the Iberville International Passenger Terminal, currently under construction in Montreal's Old Port. The new terminal will accommodate the operational needs of the modern cruise ship, offering tourists a new entrance into the historic heart of the city, and will provide residents with a new promenade and public space integrated smoothly into the existing urban fabric.
Montréal’s CCA (Canadian Centre for Architecture), the international museum and research center which was founded by Phyllis Lambert in 1979 and is currently directed by Mirko Zardini, has launched a new iteration of its website. The organisation’s new online presence has been conceived as an active editorial project which aims for more than dissemination of information alone; rather, it will take positions and—being organised around several themes such as “The Planet is the Client,” “Origins of the Digital” and “Technology Sometimes Falls Short”—will reflect the CCA’s ongoing research interests.
Loading... It could take a few seconds
Popular categories in Canada
- Bic Residence / NatureHumaine
- The Hambly House / DPAI Architecture + Toms + McNally Design
- St. Georges / Randy Bens Architect
- Cloister House + Laneway / Measured Architecture
- Grade House / Measured Architecture See all »
- 4417 Christophe-Colomb / Henri Cleinge
- The Weston Family Learning Centre / Hariri Pontari Architects
- Jameson House / Foster + Partners
- Muskoka Boathouse / Christopher Simmonds Architect
- Creemore Farm / PLANT Architect See all »
- 60 Richmond Housing Cooperative / Teeple Architects
- 130 Bloor Street West / Quadrangle Architects Limited
- Block 24E / KPMB Architects
- Student Residence Paul Lafleur / Bisson | Associés Architects
- Paris Block Paris Annex / Gair Williamson Architect + Ankenman Marchand Architects See all »