Architects: Donovan Hill
Location: Brisbane CBD, Australia
Project Team: Brian Donovan, Timothy Hill, Paul Jones, Fedor Medek, Mark Spence, Phil Hindmarsh, Andrew D’Occhio, Michael Moore, Lucas Leo, George Taran, Greg Lamb, Kim Baber, Ron van Sluys, Graham Hobbs , Jonathan Goh, Ceirwen Burton, Yee Chong, Michael Hogg
Client: Nielson Properties
Principal Contractor: Hutchinson Builders
Landscape Architect: Gamble McKinnon Gree
Height: 42 floors including ground and basement levels @ 148m
Total Floor Area: 42,263m² gross
Net Lettable Area: 34,774m²
Design Period: 1 year commencing February 2005
Construction Period: June 2007 – April 2009
Photo Credits: Jon Linkins, Sam Thiess, Shantanu Starick, Donovan Hill
Architects: Donovan Hill
Location: 58 Teneriffe Drive, Newstead / Teneriffe Q 4006, Australia
Client: Stephen Zarb
Design Team: Timothy Hill, Brian Donovan, Paul Jones, Michael Hogg
Project Team: James Davidson, Jodie Cummins, Anna O’Gorman, Robert Myszkowski, Martin Arroyo, Peter Harding, Sandy Cavill, Briohny Mc Kauge
Structural Engineer: Wayne Kerkow (TFA Project Group)
Hydraulics Engineer: Phil Lucas (Steve Paul & Partners)
Landscape Architect: Timothy Hill (Design), Steven Clegg Design (DD and Construction)
Building Contractor: James Trowse Constructions
Date of construction completion: September 2008
Gross floor area: 350 sqm
Photos: John Linkins, Sam Thiess
The M.H. de Young Memorial Museum by Herzog & de Meuron is a remarkable revival of a building that no longer exists. The original museum, which opened in 1895, was an outgrowth of a fair modeled on the Chicago World’s Columbian Exposition the previous year known as the California Midwinter Internation Exposition of 1894. Located in the sunny San Francisco, California, the museum was formerly named for one of the city’s newspapermen M.H. de Young. The old museum was a bulky structure decorated with concrete ornaments, which began falling off the building and became hazardous, leading to their removal in 1949. The building was completely destroyed, however, in 1989 by the Loma Prieta earthquake.
More on the museum after the break.
When Massachusetts Institute of Technology commissioned Steven Holl in 1999 to design a new a dormitory for the school they had one goal in sight: that the spaces around and within the building would stir up interaction among students. While MIT focused on the building’s use and function, Holl aimed to create a memorable building. With MIT’s vision in mind along with Holl’s artistic architectural ideas, the ten-story undergraduate dormitory became a small city in itself with balancing opposing architectural elements, such as solids and voids and opaqueness and transparency.
More on Simmons Hall after the break.