The first prize winning design for the Technology Center in Bologna by gmp Architekten converts a former industrial heritage building into a modern technology park. With an area of about 110,000 square meters, the center includes an exhibition hall, laboratories, offices, a seedbed center for research affiliated with the university, and teaching facilities such as lecture halls and university institutes. In addition, there will be conference facilities, including hotel and service areas such as shops, a day nursery, restaurants and refectories to be established in the former power station. More images and architects’ description after the break.
In an effort to attract large-scale world-class conventions and exhibitions, the city of Milan embarked on an ambitious plan to build a $700 million trade show complex. Massimiliano Fuksas was engaged to bring to life a new design that would house exhibition halls, auditoriums, conference rooms, restaurants and cafes, meeting halls, and office spaces for the Fiera administration. What would emerge from the recently reclaimed brownfields was a Fiera that covers 2.1 million square feet and stretches nearly a mile. More details after the break.
Architects: Foster and Partners
Location: Turin, Italy
Design Group: MAIRE Engineering (agent), Foster and Partners, Ltd. ICIS, Giugiaro, Arch CAMERANA Benedict, Studio Ass Mellano, Buonomo Vigil Studio, Studio Ass CO.PA.CO, Prof. G. Garzino, Studio A. Lazzerini, M. Arch Luciani, Prof. Ing Ossola, POLIEDRA S.P.A. and TEKSYSTEM
New building gross area: 36,232 sqm.
Photographs: Courtesy of comunicarch
The idea of the Quattro Punti per una Torre installation, designed by Massimo Iosa Ghini for FMG Fabbrica Marmi e Graniti, is to use the primordial monolith, the whole massive block of stone material. In collaboration with Iguzzini, Tecnovision, and Faraonea, the project at the University of Milan represents produced architecture and sculptures from time immemorial, repeated through the use of the large-sized ceramic slab with a finish that draws inspiration from the quarry stone. More images and architects’ description after the break.
The new exhibition space Rooms for Glass (Le Stanze del Vetro) in Italy, designed by Selldorf Architects, will open this summer in August 2012. The first exhibit to inaugurate the space will be Carlo Scarpa. Venini 1932–1947, a collection of over 300 glassworks by architect Carlo Scarpa. The exhibit will run until November 29, 2012, after which Rooms for Glass will continue showcasing the art of Venetian glassmaking in the 20th century with other exhibits.
Read on for more after the break.
Architects: Bergmeister Wolf Architekten
Location: Sterzing, Italy
Architecture Collaborators: Edoardo de Cicco, Jürgen Prosch, Ana Soares
Planning of Structural Framework: Paul Schmidt
Art on the Construction: Franziska Weinberger, Lois Weinberger, Lies Bielowski
Client: Kurt Brunner
Photographers: Günter Richard Wett
The above video, filmed and edited by DUOSEGNO Visual Design, features a look into the new Careggi entrance in Florence, designed by Ipostudio which becomes the ‘gateway’ to the hospital campus as it acts as both an urban junction as well as an architectural presence. The new entrance does not just function as a door to get inside, but is an area for strolling, for spontaneous interaction, and a place which represents the intricacy of the largest hospital development in all of central Italy. Through a new ‘square’, a new archway for Florence, this covered plaza, which draws inspiration from the grand urban traditions of the Florentine porticos, allows for this to happen.
Architects: IaN+ – Carmelo Baglivo, Luca Galofaro, Stefania Manna
Location: Rome, Italy
Site Area: 400 sqm
Design Team: Gianluca Fontana, Serena Mignatti, Florindo Ricciuti,Giuseppe Vultaggio Philippe Buenger
Consultant Structure: Engineering Pietro Bucchi
Client: Municipality of Rome
Cost: 248,000 euro
Photographs: Nico Marziali