Today, one of the leading exemplars of classic Modern architecture reopens after a two year hiatus. The freshly renovated Villa Tugendhat underwent a monumental restoration and rehabilitation, starting in January 2010, with the aim of preserving and conserving the original building substance and layout, including the construction details, materials and technical system. Renewal work also included the lavish interiors and lush garden. Continue after for the break to learn more about Mies van der Rohe’s renewed masterpiece.
The project by CHYBIK+KRISTOF Associated Architects for the Faculty of Fine Arts, Brno University of Technology is based on the idea of maximal respect to the character of the park’s locality in the city center for which it is designed. It is a complex of separate pavilions based on the floor plan of the existing built-up area of provisional assembled buildings, so-called likusáks. The concept of the project presupposes an interaction between education, culture and the public. Its realization will significantly contribute to revitalize the neglected eastern part of the park on Kraví hora. More images and architects‘ description after the break.
Built in Czechoslovakia in 1930 by German architect here.
This winning project for the Master Plan of Juzne Centrum in Brno, Czech Republic comes from CHYBIK+KRISTOF ASSOCIATED ARCHITECTS selected for the Southern Moravian Region Award 2010. The alternative master plan of “Juzne Centrum” is located in a big brownfield and is driven by local activists groups and the academic institution of Faculty of Architecture at University of Technology in Brno. The project incorporates the principles of ecology and economy towards common good and creates a new economic urban design.
More from this project after the break.