UseShading, rain protection and ambience
ApplicationsExterior; terraces, rooftops, public spaces, gardens, plazas, parks, restaurants, cultural sites, temporary structures
CharacteristicsTextile architecture, high aesthetic appeal, wide range of systems and membranes, provides shade, protects from rain, in some cases fire retardant, high resistance, create unique atmospheres, innovative, high-tech
I-Dock Restaurant, Bar and Marina Terrace is a newly designed place in the center of Amsterdam for fun, work or leisure. It offers you a warm, safe and cozy environment where you feel comfortable at any time of the day. On the terrace, MDT-tex installed its unique Tulip Umbrellas tensile structures, customized for the project, placed in an overlapping configuration.
The “Yacht harbor” extension of the iDock Restaurant allows the clients to be right inside of the harbor, floating on the water. Protected by windwalls and the overlapping Tulip Umbrellas, which protect the top from sun and rain - the rain is guided from the top to the bottom through the double pole system. The inverted shape of the umbrellas fits perfectly with the surrounding objects.
The Tulip Umbrellas are only one of the many models MDT-tex offers to their clients. Specializing in textile architecture for over 20 years, the tensile structures provide not only shade in sunny days, but create a distinctive atmosphere, with innovative materials and unique proposals of high aesthetic appeal. By adding textile architecture spaces gain new expressiveness. From the arrangement of the folds to the tensioned surface – from the lightness of translucent textiles to the countless variety of formative structures. Textile Architecture opens the door to a dynamic interaction between space and open space.
MDT-tex develops a wide variety of systems and membranes that are freely customizable, fully integrated to the original context, and in some cases- especially in warm countries where shading is necessary- offering efficient climatic solutions.
The membrane is the centerpiece of Textile Architecture. From opacity to resistance and fire retardance, the membranes offer a wide range of characteristics, making the selection very specific to meet up to the clients' needs.
- MDT-TEX 260 POLYESTER – THE FIRE RETARDANT: Polyester fibers are light and tear-proof. With a built-in solar protection system: To remain permanently stable and colorfast, they are made resistant against ultraviolet rays. In combinations of basic fiber and coating, polyester resists fire and water.
- MDT-TEX 300 ACRYLIC – THE BRILLIANT: Acrylic fibers are already colored in the spinning process, which makes this membrane colorfast. Furthermore, fibers enclose the color pigments inside, making the colors UV resistant and of high durability.
- MDT-TEX 480 – THE RESISTANT: By double side coating it remains colorfast and lightproof also by long long-term applications. Its high surface stability allows a perfect tension without drapery.
- MDT-TEX 680 PVC – THE ENDURING: Ground fabrics are covered with suitable thermoplastic, making it waterproof. It is predominantly used in areas constantly exposed to the weather.
- 720 PTFE – THE CHAMPION: Resistant to high environmental- and industrial influence and has a very low frictional resistance. Nearly no materials exist which stick to it. By its extreme resistance to tearing and non-combustibility, PTFE is the high-end material for complicated demands.