Accoya® wood is the result of decades of research and development that has brought together a long-established, extensively proven wood modification technique and leading-edge patented technology – acetylation to create a high-performance wood, ideal for outdoor use and challenging applications.
Using wood in damp external conditions for structural applications has been a real challenge, chiefly because of the risk of fungal attack. The most effective preservatives are by definition toxic and so have environmental issues both in use and disposal. While there are a few species of wood with good natural resistance to fungal attack, they are often difficult to glue and only have a comparatively limited life. Additionally, such species are often of tropical origin and sustainably sourced supplies are becoming increasingly limited. As a result, other materials will often be used instead. With Accoya®, all that can now change.
Accoya offers the potential to use wood in completely new structural applications, formerly the preserve of steel and concrete.
- Durability: EN 113 Class 1 (the highest rating; comparable to the best teak). Accoya® Wood acts as an effective barrier against a broad spectrum of fungi including cellar, wet rot, dry rot, soft rot, white, brown and pore fungi. Verified by the American Wood Protection Association (AWPA) E10 test.
- Effective barrier to attack against insects and pests: Accoya® wood is indigestible by a wide range of pests and insects (including termites), resulting in an effective barrier to attack. Verified by AWPA E1 test.
- Physical Properties: high-performance wood: equilibrium moisture content is significantly lower, hardness is increased, bending strength and stiffness is retained, and the thermal conductivity is reduced resulting in improved insulation characteristics:
- Equilibrium Moisture Content_ 3-5%
- Density: 32 lb / cu ft
- Shrink/Swell: 0.7% Radial / 1.5% Tangential
- Janka Hardness: 922 lbf side / 1484 lbf end
- Bending Strength: 12,144 psi
- Bending Stiffness: 1,297492 psi
- Fire Rating: Class C (ASTM E84) as with most woods; can be fire-retardant-treated to meet higher requirements.
- Machinability: low moisture content, kiln-dried material that is harder than the original wood species. Accoya® wood machines more like hardwood and requires no special tools for cross-cutting, ripping, planing, routing, or drilling.
- Disposal: non-toxic, can be reused when no longer needed or can be disposed of like regular wood.
- Gluing: can be glued using many commonly used wood adhesive systems.
Particularly good results are obtained with polyurethane (PU), emulsion polymer isocyanate (EPI), epoxy and phenol resorcinol formaldehyde (PRF) adhesives.
- Fasteners & other Hardware: Corrosion-resistant, high-quality 304 or 316 stainless steel or naval brass fasteners are recommended. Chrome-plated, aircraft anodized aluminum or proprietary epoxy or ceramic-coated fasteners may be a suitable alternative. Zinc plated or galvanized steel is not recommended.
- Coatings: Many high quality outdoor approved wood coating systems are compatible with Accoya® wood. Leading coating manufacturers have found that the extraordinary dimensional stability of Accoya® wood allows their wood coatings to last three or more times longer.
*Specific recommendations for your project are available upon request.
- Wood sourced from sustainable forests
- Manufactured using Accoya's patented modification process
- Properties exceed all the best tropical hardwoods
- Uses less energy than cement, glass, steel, and aluminum when utilized as a building material
- Its manufacture emits less greenhouse gas than other major competing materials such as PVC, aluminum and unsustainably sourced tropical hardwoods
- Outperforms aluminum, spruce, and tropical hardwoods
- LEED: Accoya®, the world-leading modified wood product from Accsys Technologies now contributes to three direct LEED certification credits following a recent update of the LEED certification system by the U.S. Green Building Council, which is driving the adoption of high performance, eco-friendly materials in sustainable building projects.
- Cradle-To-Cradle: GOLD Overall Certification Level.
Learn more about Accoya Wood:
Accoya - Brand Film
Building Science - What is Accoya wood?
Building Science: The Durability of Accoya wood
Building Science: Innovation in Wood
The making of an Accoya® sink - Wood Design Factory