- Partners In Charge:Juergen Mayer H., Hans Schneider, Andre Santer
- Project Team:Mi Na Bae, Max Margorskyi, Fabrizio Silvano, Ana Alonso de la Varga
- Cooperation Partner:Freier Architekt
- Client:Freiburger Stadtbau GmbH, Freiburger Verkehrs AG (VAG)
- Structural And Fire Protection:Buro Happold
- Lighting Concept:lichttransfer
- Building Services:tga Planungsgruppe
- Building Physics:GK Bauphysik
- Local Partner Architect Lp 1 5:Jürgen Moser Architekten
- Local Partner Architect Lp 6 9:Jochen Weissenrieder Architekten BDA
- City:Freiburg im Breisgau
Text description provided by the architects. In re-planning, this former traffic hub from the 1970s as part of the general redevelopment of the ring around the old city, new potentials for streets, urban mobility, and public spaces emerged. The freestanding pavilion on Europaplatz marks the entrance to Freiburg’s city center.
Together with the Siegesdenkmal and the surrounding architecture, in particular, Karlskaserne, this stop marks a new starting point for Freiburg’s historic core. Here, the new tram and bus station including gastronomy and spaces for the VAG is combined in a joint building.
The expansive roofing with its curved form shapes the new appearance of the square. The pavilion becomes a communicative place and meeting point that combines the needs of public transportation and urban experience.