Las Nieves Technical Vocational School / WRL Arquitectos

© Pablo Casals-Aguirre

Las Nieves Technical Vocational School / WRL Arquitectos - More Images+ 31

  • Construction: Ricardo Rodriguez y Cia Ltda.
  • Engineer: Antonio Medina Guajardo
  • Client: Sociedad Protectora de la Infancia
  • Project Architects: Francisco León Ross, Alicia Ross Amunategui, Tomás Weisser Mengdehl
  • City: Santiago
  • Country: Chile
More SpecsLess Specs

Text description provided by the architects. The project corresponds to the reconstruction of a heritage building.

It is part of the educational infrastructure from Protectora de la Infancia in the town of Puente Alto, Santiago, that welcomes vulnerable minors in extreme poverty.

© Pablo Casals-Aguirre

The building is part of a set of Modern Architecture buildings from the 1930s-40s, which suffered serious damage in the 2010 earthquake.

Plan Level +0.0mt

The commission was to restore the operative capacity of the school for 800 students, destroyed by the earthquake, and to modernize the old facilities. Thus create an infrastructure corresponding to the new educational needs of a school from the twenty-first century.

The intervention included two parallel projects:

1.- Structural repair and remodeling of the old building, according to current regulations for educational facilities. After a serious engineering study, it is determined that about 30% of the building was to be demolished, to be rebuilt afterwards. The remaining 70% would have to be subject to intensive structural repair based on inserting a new reinforced concrete endoskeleton.

2.- Rebuilding the infrastructure that had to be demolished. This meant the construction of two new pavilions, incorporating contemporary materials such as concrete, exposed structural steel and glazed partitions.

© Pablo Casals-Aguirre

Some important themes considered in these two simultaneous projects:

- Regarding the renovation: It was decided that all new inserted structural elements will be made of exposed reinforced concrete, to show the points of intervention.

© Pablo Casals-Aguirre

- Regarding the program distribution: in the old building, it was decided to group the administrative program, which requires separate precincts, in order to insert a larger number of load bearing walls, as required by the engineers.

- Regarding demolitions and new construction: we opt for the demolition of the 3 pavilions perpendicular to the main body of the old building, damaged in their structure.

© Pablo Casals-Aguirre

From these 3, only the two pavilions at the ends would be rebuilt.

These 2 new pavilions make up the new central plaza, keeping the shape of the old project, and are the exterior facade to the Campus.

West Section Elevation

The new pavilions house the classrooms and on the lower levels, which extend outside through sunken courtyards, are the workshops and a library.

© Pablo Casals-Aguirre

The facade of both volumes is designed as a single unit, open and transparent to the central courtyard.

Taking advantage of the slope and the need to maintain the level of the main floor that connects to the existing building, we considered this new Base Level, taking the slope and earning one extra floor for the new building. This floor creates a transparency from the square out and raises the building from the ground.

© Pablo Casals-Aguirre

An additional challenge in this project was that the search for funding was part of the commission, as the supporting institution that maintains this school in Puente Alto for 40 years, did not have funds for the reconstruction.

It was necessary to work on the project in such a way so that it was possible to apply for competition funds from MINEDUC, to obtain a third of the funding, the rest had to be raised from private donors.

© Pablo Casals-Aguirre

Project gallery

See allShow less

Project location

Address:Avenida Concha Y Toro 2188, Puente Alto, Región Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile

Click to open map
Location to be used only as a reference. It could indicate city/country but not exact address.
About this office
Cite: "Las Nieves Technical Vocational School / WRL Arquitectos" [Colegio Técnico Las Nieves / WRL Arquitectos] 29 May 2015. ArchDaily. Accessed . <> ISSN 0719-8884

You've started following your first account!

Did you know?

You'll now receive updates based on what you follow! Personalize your stream and start following your favorite authors, offices and users.