- Structure:Jun Sato Structural Engineering
- Facilities:Kankyo Engineering
- Construction:Satohide Corporation
- Hvac:San-ei Setsubi Kogyo
- Plumbing:San-ei Setsubi Kogyo
- Electric:Kokko Systems
- Client:Sunny Hills Japan
- Site Area:175.69m2
- Design Team:Kengo Kuma, Kenji Miyahara, Hiroaki Akiyama, Yuteki Dozono, Masahiro Minami
This shop, specialized in selling pineapple cake (popular sweet in Taiwan), is in the shape of a bamboo basket. It is built on a joint system called “Jiigoku-Gumi,” traditional method used in Japanese wooden architecture (often observed in Shoji: vertical and cross pieces in the same width are entwined in each other to form a muntin grid).
Normally the two pieces intersect in two dimensions, but here they are combined in 30 degrees in 3 dimensions (or in cubic), which came into a structure like a cloud. With this idea, the section size of each wood piece was reduced to as thin as 60mm×60mm.
As the building is located in middle of the residential area in Aoyama, we wanted to give some soft and subtle atmosphere to it, which is completely different from a concrete box. We expect that the street and the architecturecould be in good chemistry.