- Project Team : Stephen Teeple, Chris Radigan, Bernard Jin, William Elsworthy, Martin Baron, Myles Craig, Rob Cheung, Maryam Mohajer, Jan Kroman, Mike Sargent, Mark Baechler, Neeraj Bhatia, Jack Chen
- Mechanical Engineers : Cobalt Engineering (now called Integral)
- Leed Consultant : Enermodal Engineering
- Manufacturers/Suppliers Vm Zinc : Umicore Building Products
- Marketing & Communications : Bridget Kane, Amanda Chong
- LEED : Silver
- City : Waterloo
- Country : Canada
“We asked them to provide the optimal environment for the human mind to conceive of the universe”
- Neil Turok, Director, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
This major expansion project more than doubles the size of the world renowned physics research facility in Waterloo, ON. The form and architectural solution of the expansion focused on the creation of an interconnected, unified whole that encourages interaction among the various disciplines of physics.
The design strategy focused on creating a variety of ideal research environments including both quiet research spaces and areas for dialogue and collaboration.
This dynamic interaction is fostered through visual interconnectivity, and the provision of a wide range of interaction opportunities, from small nooks in communal areas, to the Black Hole Bistro on the ground floor and Interaction Areas that break down the boundaries between floors, to innovative teaching spaces.
All areas of the facility are hardwired to connect globally with latest audio-visual communications and IT infrastructure. The facility enables lectures, cultural performances and live demonstrations to be shared, while promoting communication and collaboration with communities afar.