- Architect In Charge:Francisco Aires Mateus & Manuel Aires Mateus
- Design Team:Giacomo Brenna, Paola Marini, Anna Bacchetta, Miguel Pereira
- Contractor:Ramos Catarino, Sa
- Engineering:Engitarget, lda
- Landscape Architects:ABAP Luis Alçada Batista
- Client:Santa Casa da Misericordia de Alcácer do Sal
- City:Alcácer do Sal
Text description provided by the architects. The project is based on a attentive reading of the life of a very specific kind of community, a sort of a micro-society with its own rules.
It is a program, somewhere in between a hotel and a hospital, that seeks to comprehend and reinterpret the combination social/private, answering to the needs of a social life, and at the same time of solitude. Independents unities aggregate into a unique body, whose design is expressive and clear.
The reduct mobility of those who will live in the building suggests that any displacement should be an emotive and variable experience. The distance between the independent units is measured and drawn to turn the idea of path into life, and its time into form.
The building, designed path, is a wall that naturally rises from the topography: it limits and defines the open space, organizing the entire plot.