Text description provided by the architects. Located on the north bank of the Chicago River, the project respects and enhances the tradition of inspiring skyscrapers in the city of Chicago – the birthplace of the skyscraper. The 60-story, 1.3 million gsf project is comprised of office, retail, restaurant, amenity and public spaces as well as below-grade parking. The project is also the new world class home for an international law firm that has been a prominent citizen in Chicago since 1908. At over 783 feet, the project is among the tallest skyscrapers in Chicago.
Reestablishing a pedestrian connection to the city, the project features a half acre waterfront public garden with direct access to the river and views of the city. The thoughtful placement of the tower’s rectangular form on the northern limit of its site maximizes the southern exposure of the public garden while it minimizes solar gain on the narrower east and west facades. An asset for this area of Chicago, this public space enhances the streetscape at the base of the LaSalle Street Bridge and cascades to the river with a fine dining restaurant, landscaped terraces seating and a waterfront café.
The tower’s design accommodates efficiency and flexibility in interior planning and its floor-to-ceiling glass provides abundant natural light and dramatic views. The transparency and luminosity of its façade create a lighter, delicate silhouette. The tenant’s desire for a modern image anchored in the past informed the design that recalls the Chicago Miesian tradition as well as art deco stepped skyscrapers. The elegant, three-story lobby features a decorative screen of cherry wood and ornamental stainless steel, set off by a floor of golden limestone. The tower culminates with a luminous, articulated stainless steel crown which acts as a beacon along the Chicago River.