Text description provided by the architects. The project restored a three building historic jail complex and adapted it for residential and mixed use, including a full service restaurant and an exhibit space devoted to the history of the Jail property. The original jail building was constructed in 1813, with a major addition by Gridley J. F. Bryant in 1884.
The complex also includes a carriage house and a jail keeper’s house, attributed to Samuel McIntire. The oldest in continuous operation in the country, the jail was declared unfit by a Federal judge in 1991, was closed, and subsequently abandoned. It languished for two decades. Located on prime real estate, the jail was an eyesore—weeds, chain link, razor wire, and vandalism—and depressed adjacent properties and inhibited surrounding development. It is now a positive contributor to the built fabric with 23 units of housing, a popular restaurant, and an active, landscaped site.