Indiana Convention Center Expansion / RATIO Architects

© Bill Zbaren Photography

Architect: RATIO Architects
Location: Indianapolis, ,
Project Area: 700,000 sq ft
Project Year: 2011
Photographs: Bill Zbaren Photography

In 2006, the Indiana Stadium and Convention Building Authority selected RATIO Architects to create a major expansion to the Indiana Convention Center as a response to ongoing increased convention and trade show demand. The more than 700,000 sq. ft. expansion includes exhibition space, meeting rooms, and pre-function and support space – all within a tight urban site in the heart of Indianapolis, directly connected to 4,700 hotel rooms and within easy walking distance of restaurants, retail shops and at the head of a new pedestrian/event street. More about the Indiana Stadium and Convention Building after the break.

University Hygienic Laboratory / OPN Architects

© Wayne Johnson, Main Street Studio

Architect: OPN Architects
Location: ,
Project Year: 2010
Photographs: Wayne Johnson, Main Street Studio 

Designed for the University of Iowa, the Hygienic Laboratory was designed by OPN Architects and was completed in 2010 as a collaborative and interdisciplinary laboratory facility.  In addition to both closed and open laboratory space, the complex features traditional academic functions such as office space, workspaces, and group meeting space.  More images and architect description after the break.

University of Iowa BioVentures Center / OPN Architects

© Wayne Johnson, Main Street Studio

Architect: OPN Architects
Location: ,
Project Year: 2009
Engineer: KJWW Engineering Consultants
Photographs: Wayne Johnson, Main Street Studio 

The BioVentures Center is a new office and laboratory facility on the campus of the University of Iowa that functions as a collaborative environment and business incubator for biotech start-ups and the academic field.  The 80,000sf facility was designed by OPN Architects of Cedar Rapids, Iowa in conjunction with KJWW Engineering and Consultants.  In addition to traditional academic functions, half of the buildings usable area was designed as speculative lab space and is available for commercial lease.

Small House in Olive Grove / Wendy Evans Joseph Architecture

© Elliot Kaufman Photography

Architects: Wendy Evans Joseph Architecture
Location: , , USA
Project Team: Wendy Evans Joseph, Chris Cooper, Chris Good, Michael Walch, Reed Langworthy, Farzana Gandhi
Architect of Record: Richardson Architects
Civil Engineer: CSW / Struber-Stroeh Engineering Group, Inc.
Structural Engineer: Tysinger & Associates Structural Engineers
Project Year: 2010
Project Area: 850 sqf
Photographs: Elliot Kaufman Photography

Judicial Centre in Debrecen / Koller Studio

Courtesy of Koller Studio

Architects: Koller Studio
Location: ,
Project Team: József Koller, László Csatai, László Pethő, László Földes
Client: County Court of Hajdú-Bihar and Supreme Prosecutor of Debrecen
Project Year: 2006
Project Area: 6,035 sqm
Photographs: Courtesy of Koller Studio

AD Classics: Flatiron Building / Daniel Burnham

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

As one of the most widely recognized buildings in New York City, as well as the world, the Flatiron Building was/is an innovative architectural statement at the turn of the 20th Century.  Completed in 1902 by , the Flatiron Building was a prime architectural design at the advent of skyscraper construction in the United States.  Known for its triangular design at the intersection of 5th Ave. and Broadway, the Flatiron Buildings iconic presence has transformed an entire area of Manhattan into the Flatiron District.

More on the Flatiron Building after the break.

Casajijona / dooa arquitecturas

© Pepe Pascual Fuentes

Architects: dooa arquitecturas – Asunción Díaz García, Vicente Pascual Fuentes, Miguel Pérez de Sarrió Fraile.
Location: Partida de Sot, Jijona, Alicante, .
Contributors: Pepa Oliver Boyer, Cayetano Oliver Ferrández (architects)
Constructor: Construcciones el Rebollat S.L.
Building area: 238 m2
Project Year: Diciembre 2007
Photographs: Pepe Pascual Fuentes

AD Classics: MIT Baker House Dormitory / Alvar Aalto

© Wikimedia - dDxc

designed the Baker House in 1946 while he was a professor at the Massachussets Institute of Technology, where the dormitory is located. It received its name in 1950, after the MIT’s Dean of Students Everett Moore Baker was killed in an airplane crash that year. The dormitory is a curving snake slithering on its site and reflects many of Aalto’s ideas of formal strategy, making it a dormitory that is both inhabited and studied by students from all over the world.