Jean Nouvel was chosen as the lead urban architect and coordinator for the Seguin Island project in July of 2009. Here we are sharing with you the Ateliers Jean Nouvel team master plan for Seguin Island in Boulogne-Billancourt, France.
A diverse group of programs will make up the spaces, total surface area of 300,000 sqm, including cultural, retail, social facilites, parks, gardens, terraces serving as a destination for both residents and tourists. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2010 and final completion is expected for the end of 2023.
Follow the break for a video and renderings by Ateliers Jean Nouvel.
Architects: Ateliers Jean Nouvel Location: Seguin Island, Boulogne-Billancourt, France Project Area: 300,000 sqm Renderings: Courtesy of Ateliers Jean Nouvel
From the architects: Seguin Island is reborn. It will become a major destination in Paris. Its attractiveness is due to a totally exceptional programming in the total mix of programs: culture, commerce, social meeting places for urban parks, gardens, terraces, platforms … which will make it a lively place both day and night:
- A large complex of two music rooms, one of 3,000 to 5,000, the second seating 800, built by the General Council of Hauts de Seine … (to be completed by you)
- A cultural hub of fine art and digital composed of a contemporary art foundation, an arts portal with sales areas, galleries, artist studios … (to be completed by you)
- A museum or equipment: Maison de l’Histoire de France or other collection, one or the other but may be one or the other.
- A vibrant and diverse commercial structure along a street of 400 meters and passages linking the banks of the Seine and large squares gardens are complemented by hotels, restaurants and cinema complex extended to the fields of image , sports, and arts …
- Headquarters of differentiated identity, that make it a prestigious address across the city
- A central park, large garden greenhouse 450 meters long, business, hosting a plant unknown in the Paris region, it will be connected to many places and planted terraces at different heights at different horizons (7 hectares). These green spaces set the stage for an eco neighborhood that aims to foreshadow the lifestyle of the next decades of the twenty-first century.
Seguin Island is served by an automated metro, tramway and river shuttles. A large loading ramp characterize the north quay of the island between the bridges Daydé and Renault.
Seguin Island is the flagship of the valley of the culture …
The Seguin Island embodies the important link of the Seine across the metropolis, as has been shown all urban studies established through consultation with the Greater Paris.
The Seguin Island project demonstrates a new way of thinking the city in the urban plan based on principles of body types, shapes and sequences of spaces and using different types of buildings. This is not a simple program with densities, is a blend strategic design that will incorporate, on the basis of a precise specification, architecture projects to come.