Zaha Hadid Architects unveiled images of on-going construction works on the site of the Zhuhai Jinwan Civic Art Centre in China. Located in one of the world’s most dynamic regions, the project is set to become a hub of contemporary creativity. Recent photos highlight the installed steel structure for the roof’s canopy and evolving works on the four cultural venues.
At the heart of Jinwan district’s Western Ecological New Town, the Zhuhai Jinwan Civic Art Centre is in progress. Designed by Zaha Hadid Architects, the project integrates four distinct cultural institutions: a 1200-seat Grand Theatre; a 500-seat Multifunctional Hall, a Science Centre; and an Art Museum.
While each of the constructions has its unique characteristics, the interventions will be united by a structure that spans 170 meters wide from east to west and 270 meters long from north to south. The center’s distinctive roof structure unites the different venues under a network of reticulated shells soaring above the four buildings. Moreover, the two larger and two smaller venues are connected by a central plaza.
Inspired by the chevron patterns of migratory birds flying in formation over southern China, the canopies are composed of elements that respond to the different functional requirements, configured through repetition, symmetry, and scale variation. Pre-fabrication, pre-assembly and the use of modular construction have therefore a major role.
The design optimizes natural light in all public areas and enhances connectivity; creating engaging civic spaces for Zhuhai’s residents to enjoy throughout the day and evening. […] Ramps invite visitors to the rooftop piazza where footbridges and stairs connect through a central void to each venue […] an external amphitheater on the west side of the center allows for outdoor performances and activities. -- Zaha Hadid Architects
Designed as integral elements within Zhuhai’s ‘sponge city’ initiative, the landscape enhances natural permeation, storage, and re-use of rainwater. In addition, water consumption is regulated through humidity and soil-moisture sensors. Aiming for two stars in China’s Green Building Evaluation Standard, the project optimizes thermal performance and provides external solar shading. Moreover, other systems will include intelligent energy consumption and indoor air quality monitoring systems, and waste heat recovery.
Zhuhai Jinwan Civic Art Centre
- Architect: Zaha Hadid Architects
- Design: Zaha Hadid and Patrik Schumacher
- Project Directors: Satoshi Ohashi, Charles Walker
- Project Senior Associate: Lydia Kim
- Project Architects: Mei-Ling Lin, Aurora Santana (SD)
- Package Leads: Mei-Ling Lin, Elena Scripelliti
- Project Team: Armando Bussey, Marius Cernica, Grace Chung, Nelli Denisova, Xuexin Duan, Kaloyan Erevinov, Nassim Eshaghi, Kate Hunter, Yang Jingwen, Reza Karimi, Ben Kikkawa, Lydia Kim, Julian Lin, Mei-Ling Lin, Valeria Mazzilli, Sareh Mirseyed Nazari, Massimo Napoleoni, Yevgeniya Pozigun, Cao Qi, Qiuyu Zhao, Aurora Santana, Hannes Schafelner, Michael Sims, Patrik Schumacher, Sharan Sundar, Maria Touloupou, Chao Wei, Charles Walker
- Competition Team: Armando Bussey, Clara Martins, Cristiano Ceccato, Charles Walker, Ed Gaskin, Filippo Nassetti, Jinqi Huang, Juan Liu, Lydia Kim, Julian Lin, Satoshi Ohashi, Paulo Flores, Harry Spraiter, Patrick Schumacher, Houzhe Xu, Simon Yu
- LDI: Beijing Institute of Architecture & Design South China Centre
- Landscape Consultant: Beijing Institute of Architecture & Design (South China Centre)
- Acoustic Consultant: East China Architectural Design & Research Institute (Acoustic & Theatre Special Design & Research Division)
- Façade Consultant: Zhuhai City Honghai Curtain Wall
- Interior Consultant: Shenzhen Z&F Culture Construction
- Amplify Consultant: Radio, Film & TV Design and Research Institute
- Signage Consultant: W&T Design
- Lighting consultant: Shenzhen Global Lighting Technology
- Theater Consultant：Shanghai DeYi Engineering Technology
- BIM Consultant：Beijing BIMTechnologie
- Green Building Consultant：Guangdong JORJUN Green Building Technology