- Authors:Lilian Dal Pian Renato Dal Pian
- Coordination:Paulo Noguer, Luiz Alberto Backheuser, Daniel Maeda
- Collaborators:Adriana Godoy, Amanda Higuti, Ana Lúcia Pialgata, Bruno Pimenta, Carolina Freire, Carolina Fukumoto, Carolina Tobias, Caroline Portugal, Cristiane Sbruzzi, Filomena Piscoletta, Giovana Giosa, João Pires, Júlio Costa, Leona Pellini, Lidia Martello Liliana Andrade, Luis Taboada, Marcelo Otsuka, Natalie Tchilian, Nathalia Fonseca, Oliver Schpeepmaker, Olívia Costa, Paula Cruz, Rachel Rodorigo, Ricardo Cristoffani, Ricardo Rossin, Thais Dematte, Verónica Antonela
- Structure:Kurkdjian Fruchtengarten Engenheiros Associados
- Foundations:MAG Engenheiros Associados Ltda
- Earthworks And Drainage:MAG Engenheiros Associados Ltda
- Soil Drilling:Conteste Engenharia e Tecnologia e Soenvil
- Topography:Solotec Engenharia Ltda
- Traffic Impact:BM&D Consultores Associados
- Environmental Compensation:Equality
- Building Installations:MBM Engenharia
- Logic:Laga Engenharia
- Firemen :MBM Engenharia
- Building Automation:Jugend Controle Predial
- Air Conditioning:Thermoplan Engenharia Térmica Ltda
- Paving:LPE Engenharia e Consultoria
- Audio And Video:AVM Projetos e Consultoria
- Landscaping:Luiz Portugal Albuquerque
- Lightning:Senzi Lighting
- Environmental Comfort :Ambiental Consultoria Ltda
- Acoustics :Harmonia Acústica
- Frame Consulting:Arqmate
- Cenotechnics :Cineplast
- Odontology :Terra Arquitetura
- Kitchen:Machado de Campos
- Traffic:M2 Projetos
- Masonry Structuring:Glauco Rocha Arquitetura
- Waterproofing:Proasp Assessoria e Projetos
- Vertical Transport:Empro Comercio e Engenharia de Transporte Vertical Ltda
- Certification Consulting:CTE
- Commissioning:Sustentech Desenvolvimento Sustentável
- Budget :GPS Engenharia
- Stones Consulting :DGG Assessoria Ltda
- Visual Communication:Homem de Melo & Troia Design
- Model :Trivino Maquetes
- Animation And Video Editing:ALMA Estúdio
- Site Area:236995.4 ft²
Text description provided by the architects. As a public use building gathering activities of culture, sports, teaching, health, recreation and leisure, SESC Guarulhos was conceived as a great democratic and inviting space that seeks to encourage and stimulate encounters, coexistence and interaction among people.
Located in an urbanized area, near Guarulhos International Airport and Zezinho Magalhães Housing Complex, its surrounding landscape presents a heterogeneous design, at times fragmented and discontinuous, characteristic of urban environments in the process of growth and transformation.
In this context, the project seeks to emphasize SESC’s condition as a social communicator and cultural polarizer through an architecture oriented not only to the specific solutions of its activities and functions, but also to the construction of a more continuous, cohesive and unitary urban scenario.
Access to the building is generous and non-intimidating. Designed as an extension of the urban courses, it kindly seeks to invite visitors to know and use the unit.
Internally, the spaces are structured around a large Coexistence Plaza that receives external flows and concentrates, articulates and distributes the various activities of the complex. As a transparent space and permeable to visual perspectives, this integrative plaza exposes the happenings of the building and incorporates the surrounding landscape into its internal environments. A roof system consisting of metal grids, glass, air extractors and horizontal louvers made of perforated aluminum for sun protection, filters out natural light crowning this diaphanous space.
The internal circulations organized simply and precisely by ramps, walkways and corridors overlooking the Coexistence Plaza, expose the movement of users and reinforce the extrovert character of the building.
Its program is distributed into three levels:
Ground – The Coexistence Plaza opens up its surroundings to Customer Service, Exhibition Rooms, Dental Clinic, as well as Children's and Youth Recreation Ambiances. On this level, the indoor Sports Gymnasium and its supporting toilets and locker rooms complete the public fruition areas.
With independent accesses, the Loading and Unloading Patio and the Operational Sector are located next to the two vehicle parking levels. This arrangement organizes service flows and provides operational efficiency for the Theater, Restaurant, and other areas of the complex.
Superior Ground – The Theater, with its foyer facing the void of the Coexistence Plaza, conforms to an independent solid body – its dimensions of audience, stage, wings and backstage adapt to the various use demands required by SESC.
On this level, favoured by the natural topography of the land, there are the Aquatic Complex (covered and uncovered) and the outdoor Sports Courts. The Food Court facing both the Coexistence Plaza, and the pools with solarium areas, offers users the delight of varied visual perspectives.
Also distributed on this level, there are the Administration, Library, Environmental Station and external garden spaces.
Superior – on the top floor are located the rooms for Multipurpose, Multifunctional Gymnastics and Physical Activities. Their access corridors, besides turning to the Coexistence Plaza, run through the double-height voids of the Sports Gymnasium and Indoor Pool. A balcony for outdoor body activities, facing the Aquatic and Sports Center, enhances the use of these rooms, and shades the Food Court on the lower floor. A complete Music Center concludes the spaces of this dynamic activity complex.
Note: All photographs are courtesy of SESC-SP, which holds its use rights.