How does formal commitment of architecture and urban planning give us a UNITED (or not) city landscape, through the transformation of its knowledge into aggregational processes? Territories have different strategies of possession by its inhabitants, in between different narratives, epistemological discourses, and fragmentation processes. Within this context, the city is characterized by structural UNITED elements that shape urban futures.
Consequently, radical transformations occurring at the level of the these elements' organization, change drastically the dynamics of urban living conditions. In such a way, urban planning and architectural practices are trying to address (and work with) these transformations, both at the theoretical and empirical level.
These UNITED elements have different impact, and they often offer explanatory frameworks for these transformations, formally or informally recognized, visible or invisible, congruent or incongruent with a more strategical and shared vision for the city. Which are those structural elements that turn the city UNITED, how do they work and how do they revolutionize our cities?
To what extent these activities are integrated into each other, cooperative and really innovative? STUDIO#13 UNITED aims to discover how the co-production of the city runs, considering (i) to what extent architectural practices work for and in UNITED urban spaces and (ii) how planning adapts itself to the everyday practices and users' needs by defining window of opportunities (not a priori defined) that sometimes are in contrast with normative and institutional structures.
Within this framework, STUDIO#13 UNITED looks to investigate those neuralgic urban systems that together contribute to the functioning of the city in time of crises, both in an everyday and a long-term perspective. STUDIO#13 UNITED is looking to receive critical contributes at conceptual, theoretical and empirical levels, showing experimental contexts and structures amid different architectural practices.
We are accepting proposals for our forthcoming issue UNITED
Contributions may be submitted in different forms – essays, photographic essay, illustrations, data visualizations,
case studies and projects, interviews, comic strips and even novels – exploring the issue in any field of
design: architecture, urbanism, art, photography, graphic design, film... etc.
STAGE 01 (Abstract) - October 20th 2017
- Contributors are asked to send a 200-word abstract about the proposal.
- The abstract must be written in English
- Maximum size of the submission (image included if present): 2MB
STAGE 02 (Final Piece) - November 20th 2017
- Selected contributors are asked to send the final piece, following the guidelines below:
- Essays, interviews and novels should not exceed 3.000 words with a maximum 10 cited references.
- All texts have to be submitted digitally in Microsoft Word (.doc).
- The piece must be written both in English and in the Original language.
- Photographic essays, illustrations, projects...etc. should be sent with a 500 words maximum description.
- All images have to be submitted full color (CMYK), in either JPEG or TIFF format (300 ppi, 18x25 cm)
- All drawings have to be submitted full color, in PDF format.
- For every image/graphic include illustration source, name of photographer/artist and the authorization of
- A short biography of the author/s (max. 50 words)
All submissions via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the information related to this competition here.
TitleCall for Papers: STUDIO #13 – UNITED
TypeCall for Submissions
Submission DeadlineOctober 20, 2017 12:00 AM