"Queen Hur Memorial Park Construction Project" is promoted in joint as a result of the 2015 Korea-India Summit on reinforcing cultural and personal exchanges between the two countries. The project is to reorganize the existing Queen Hur Memorial Park located in Ayodhya, India, and to extend the park in the riverside area next to the memorial park to construct the memorial park newly for connecting to the adjacent urban fabric, and commercial and cultural facilities.
To enable this, the goal of this design competition is to provide a new design for the Queen Hur Memorial Park that will not only shed new light on Queen Hur as the historic fact and to become a place of interaction that vitalizes the community, but also to have an opportunity to strengthen the cultural ties between Korea and India.
The area of this design competition of Ayodhya is located in the intersection of human (Ayodhyasi), nature (Sarayu River) and God (Birthplace of Rama). Also, there is a bus terminal, cultural & commercial facilities and small temples nearby. Therefore, the new memorial park has the potential to be reformed as the center of various activities and interaction by the residents, pilgrims and tourists. However, there is a continuous bloody conflict between Hindus and the Muslims since the 1990’s in this area, so instead of the holy urban image of the birthplace of Rama, it is more widely known as the place for religious dispute. Therefore, the State Government of India is expecting that this project will provide an opportunity to enable the relevant area to break free from the existing image, and to have a new urban image.
- Host : Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism
- Organizer : Korean Institute of Architects (KIA)
- Location : Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh 224123, India
- Site Area : 55,765㎡
- Estimated Construction Cost : Approximately 9 billion Won (including VAT)
- Estimated Design Fee : Design Fee is approximately 400 million Won, and
- Construction Administration Fee is approximately 400 million Won (including VAT)
- Design Period : 4 months after the design contract
This competition is a one stage limited design competition.
Domestic and foreign experts in the fields related to architecture and landscaping can all participate. In the case of joint application, a team can have up to five(5, individual or corporate) members.
- Announcement July 20, 2016
- Registration Jul. 20, 2016 ~ Aug. 19, 2016, 5:00 P.M.
- Posting Questions Jul. 20, 2016 ~ Aug. 19, 2016, 5:00 P.M.
- Answers Aug. 26, 2016
- Submission Deadline Sep. 23, 2016, 5:00 P.M.
- Technical Evaluation Sep. 26, 2016
- Jury Session Sep. 27, 2016 ~ Sep. 28, 2016
- Winner Announcement Sep. 28, 2016
Selection of Winner
The evaluation result is notified through the official homepage after the evaluation is finished, and the awards are notified individually. Types and details of the awards are shown below.
- 1st Prize (One entry) : Design and Construction Administration contract
- 2nd Prize (One entry) : KRW 30,000,000
- 3rd Prize (One entry) : KRW 20,000,000
- Honorable Mention (Five entries or less) : KRW 10,000,000 each
TitleQueen Hur Memorial Park Design Competition (India)
TypeCompetition Announcement (Built Projects & Masterplans)
Registration DeadlineAugust 19, 2016 05:00 PM
Submission DeadlineSeptember 23, 2016 05:00 PM
VenueAyodhya, Uttar Pradesh 224123, India
Country RestrictionsSouth Korea