- Contributing Architect : Poticha Architects
- Aquatic Design Consultant : Aquatic Design Group
- Construction Manager : Howard S. Wright
- Owner : University of Oregon
- Interventions : 40,000 SF Renovation + 110,000 SF New
- Construction Costs : $42,000,000
- Sports Design Architect : RDG Planning & Design
- Architect Of Record : Robertson | Sherwood | Architects PC
- City : Eugene
- Country : United States
Text description provided by the architects. This two-phased Student Recreation Center addition knits together an existing Physical Education building, and an existing and undersized Student Recreation building on an extremely tight site. Two new free-zone entrances were created. A Great Hall entrance accommodates pedestrian traffic pattern from east of site. While a Main Street entrance accommodates traffic patterns from north of site. The two free-zones not only create the main circulation paths in the building, but also implement formal and informal social spaces for students.
From the free-zones, students can traverse the building, shopping its many recreation and academic venues, from the daylit natatorium and gymnasium to fitness spaces that offer an unrestrained view to the east valley of Eugene, or casual lounge spaces that scatter throughout the building. The design creates a dynamic expanded home for student wellness and physical education.
Various sustainability strategies were implemented during the planning and construction of the addition: radiant heat and active chilled-beam cooling system, expanded solar panels, natural day lighting, and an existing pool converted into a rain water cistern that will provide water for flushing toilets and exterior irrigation. These successful strategies are expected to bring the project a LEED Platinum certification.