In 2015, we've focused on expanding ArchDaily's editorial content in a number of different directions. We've opened new avenues to bring high-quality architectural content to our readers - whether that's through our many fantastic publishing partnerships with organizations such as The Architectural Review and Metropolis Magazine, by working more closely with our sister sites in Spanish, Portuguese and Chinese to bring articles with a global outlook such as our article celebrating "The Best Student Work Worldwide," or by reaching out to people who have expressed strong opinions on our stories, as was the case when we published Mark Hogan's article "What’s Wrong With Shipping Container Housing? Everything."
We've also experimented with article formats, including a combined infographic and feature article in "7 Architects Designing a Diverse Future in Africa," two complementary articles to mark the first anniversary of MVRDV's Markthal in Rotterdam, and articles that amplify the voices of our readers in our AD Discussion series. And of course, we've also continued to bring our readers more traditional articles and interviews, with responses to trending debates such as Matthew Johnson's article "Architecture Doesn’t Need Rebuilding, It Needs More Thoughtful Critics" and standout examples of favorite series such as our AD Classics section.
With all of these developments, it was a challenge to narrow down a full year's worth of articles to just 15 shining examples. Read on to find out which lucky 15 made the cut.
15. Winy Maas and Jan Knikker on Markthal, PR, Awards and Architecture Media by Rory Stott & MVRDV's Markthal PR Campaign; Or, How We Learned the Price of Chicken by Jan Knikker
14. The Evolution of Radical Urbanism: What Does the Future Hold for Our Cities? by Alfredo Brillembourg and Hubert Klumpner
13. Sex and Real Estate, Reconsidered: What Was the True Story Behind Mies van der Rohe's Farnsworth House? by Nora Wendl
12. How "Heroic: Concrete Architecture and the New Boston" Hopes to Reclaim America's Concrete Heritage by David Langdon
11. Architecture Doesn’t Need Rebuilding, It Needs More Thoughtful Critics by Matthew Johnson
9. Why I Created a Database to Document African Vernacular Architecture by Jon Sojkowski
8. The Best Student Work Worldwide: ArchDaily Readers Show Us their Studio Projects by the whole AD Editorial Team
7. Bart Lootsma on Innsbruck, City Branding and "Geographical Urbanism" by MONU Magazine
6. Opinion: What’s Wrong With Shipping Container Housing? Everything. by Mark Hogan
5. AD Classics: Viipuri Library / Alvar Aalto by David Langdon
4. 150 Weird Words That Only Architects Use by Rory Stott & ArchDaily readers
3. 7 Architects Designing a Diverse Future in Africa by Dario Goodwin
2. For and Against All-Nighter Culture: ArchDaily Readers Respond by Rory Stott & ArchDaily readers
1. Why 2015's Most Important Design In Architecture Isn't A Building, But A New York Times Article by Rory Stott