Architects: Gonçalo Byrne Arquitectos
- Area: 13130 m² Area: 13130 m²
- Year: 2013 Year: 2013
- photographs: Duccio MalagambaPhotographs: Duccio Malagamba
Construction Supervision: DGEMN - Direcção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais, DREMC - Direcção Regional dos Edifícios e Monumentos do Centro, Jorge Rebocho, Luís Ribeiro, António Roseiro, Gabriel Silva
- 1999 Competition Coordination:José Barra
- 1999 Competition Collaborators:Ana Natividade, Gonçalo Lopes, José Laranjeira, Mafalda Rebelo, Miguel Lira Fernandes, Nuno Fidéles, Patrícia Barbas, Pedro Neves, Rolf Heinemann, Telmo Cruz
- 2000 2001 Preliminary Design Coordination:José Barra, Nuno Marques
- 2000 2001 Preliminary Design Collaborators:Gustavo Abreu, Leonor Raposo, Maria João Costa, Miguel Lira Fernandes
- 2004 2005 Executive Design Coordination:Maria João Gamito, Nuno Marques
- 2004 2005 Executive Design Collaborators:G/F Arquitectos Associados Lda, Alexandre Berardo, Ana Conceição, Ana Filipa Santos, Catarina Sousa, Gustavo Abreu, Joana Sarmento, João Gois, José Martins Pereira, Leonor Raposo, Margarida Silveira Machado, Maria João Costa, Marta Oliveira Dias, Miguel Lira Fernandes, Nuno Birne, Nuno Fideles, Patricia Caldeira, Rodrigo Germano
- 2006 2013, Technical Assistance Coordination:Nuno Marques
- 2006 2013, Technical Assistance Collaborators:Maria João Gamito, Marta Oliveira Dias, Rita Freitas
- 2006 2013 Exhibition Project:Catarina Ramos Pinto, Raul Serafim, Joana Sarmento, Maria João Gamito, Nuno Marques
- 3d Model:Gustavo Abreu, João Pedro Bicho, Maria João Costa, Mónica Mendonça, Nuno Fideles, Nuno Pimenta, Ricardo Félix, Roberto Sampaio, Tiago Barreiros
- Electrical, Telecommunications And Security Installation:JOULE Projectos Estudos e Coordenação Lda, Caetano Gonçalves, Luís Gonçalves
- Gas:Augusto Teixeira
- Security And Health:Luís Milreu, QUARTA LDA
- Consultancy:Fidélio Santana
- Liturgy Consultancy:Dr. Pedro Farnés
- Stone Masonry Consultancy:Fernando Pinho
- Architect In Charge:Gonçalo Byrne
- 3 D Model:Gustavo Abreu, João Pedro Bicho, Maria João Costa, Mónica Mendonça, Nuno Fideles, Nuno Pimenta, Ricardo Félix, Roberto Sampaio, Tiago Barreiros
- Security And Health:QUARTA, Lda Eng.º Luís Milreu
- Liturgy Consultancy:Dr. Pedro Farnés
Text description provided by the architects. The museum, located at Alta of Coimbra, is a place of intense sedimentation and historical superimposition over two millennia where lies the Roman Forum Aemininum, the Romanesque church of S. João de Almedina, the gallery of Terzi.
The lucid acceptance of contemporary criticism of these sequences, whence the constant mingling of "container" and "content", is the primary feature of the project in order to correct the rupture of scale and historical context caused by random juxtapositions: two elemental volumes define a flooded neutral space, illuminated by diffuse light to show the temporal sequence of the fragments of the 18th century apse of the Tesoureiro Chapel.
The gallery occupies the entire volume of the trapezoidal shape, rising to four levels and creating a platform (the terrace of the restaurant) where it lays the rectangular volume of transparent and translucent glass that at night becomes a sort of lantern light. The lower volume adapts to the existing layout of the streets, the stone cladding is not mimetic, but consistent with the solid matter of the surrounding buildings; implantation repeats the settlement solution, morphological and hierarchical originally tied to the cryptoporticus of the Roman Forum which in its turn is tied to the museum.
The experience of space is revealed as a sort of condenser of the surrounding city, explained around the visit by similarities, analogies or contrasting perspectives of the city itself and its centuries-old history in a unified perception of beauty.