the world's most visited architecture website
i

Sign up now and start saving and organizing your favorite architecture projects and photos

Sign up now to save and organize your favorite architecture projects

i

Find the most inspiring products for your projects in our Product Catalog.

Find the most inspiring products in our Product Catalog.

i

Get the ArchDaily Chrome Extension and be inspired with every new tab. Install here »

i

All over the world, architects are finding cool ways to re-use run-down old buildings. Click here to see the best in Refurbishment Architecture.

Want to see the coolest refurbishment projects? Click here.

i

Immerse yourself in inspiring buildings with our selection of 360 videos. Click here.

See our immersive, inspiring 360 videos. Click here.

All
Projects
Products
Events
Competitions
Navigate articles using your keyboard
  1. ArchDaily
  2. Projects
  3. Houses
  4. United States
  5. Office of Architecture
  6. 2014
  7. Brooklyn Row House / Office of Architecture

Refurbishment in Architecture

presented by the MINI Clubman

Brooklyn Row House / Office of Architecture

  • 12:45 - 18 March, 2015
Brooklyn Row House / Office of Architecture
Brooklyn Row House / Office of Architecture, © Ben Anderson Photo
© Ben Anderson Photo

© Ben Anderson Photo © Ben Anderson Photo © Ben Anderson Photo © Ben Anderson Photo + 16

  • MEP Engineer

    Kam Chiu Associates, Inc
  • Structural Engineer

    Stratford Engineering
  • Contractor

    Agneone Construction
  • Expeditor

    Sol Building Consultants
  • More Specs Less Specs
© Ben Anderson Photo
© Ben Anderson Photo

Text description provided by the architects. When we were approached by our clients to gut renovate and add to a 110 year old, 15' wide row house, our goal was to create a home that could adapt to change over time.  The building is designed to oscillate easily between a two-family and one-family configuration, giving the owners the ability to gradually grow into and out of the house as needed.  70% of the building can be used as a 2 bedroom / 2 bath unit, while the remaining 30% of the building is given over to a 1 bedroom/ 1 bath unit. 

© Ben Anderson Photo
© Ben Anderson Photo

Depending on their priorities at any given time, the owners have the option to occupy one of the units themselves, while using the other for rental income.  It also gives the owners the ability to combine both units to create a 2100SF one-family home for themselves simply by removing a small demising wall on the second floor and demolishing the rental kitchen – a job that can be executed over the course of a long weekend.  Elegant material choices, subtle detailing, and thoughtful spatial sensibilities belie the building's intelligent space planning. 

Floor Plan
Floor Plan

Careful placement of bathrooms and kitchens, along with the integration of a second stair (highly unusual for a row-house this size) enable the architecture to accommodate its owners as their needs evolve from that of a young couple to a family of four to empty nesters.  In doing so, the building becomes much more an active participant in the life of its inhabitants – always ready to anticipate and absorb change.

© Ben Anderson Photo
© Ben Anderson Photo

View the complete gallery

About this office
Office of Architecture
Office
Cite: "Brooklyn Row House / Office of Architecture" 18 Mar 2015. ArchDaily. Accessed . <https://www.archdaily.com/605507/brooklyn-row-house-office-of-architecture/> ISSN 0719-8884
Read comments
Read comments

You've started following your first account!

Did you know?

You'll now receive updates based on what you follow! Personalize your stream and start following your favorite authors, offices and users.