- Developer:Schwarzatal gemeinnützige Wohnungs- und Siedlungsanlagen GmbH
- Open Space Planning:D/D Landschaftsplanung
- Project Management:raum & kommunikation GmbH
- Statics / Building Physics / Technical Building System:RWT PLUS ZT GmbH and Woschitz Engineering ZT GmbH
- Component “Wohnen Mit Uns”:eins zu eins Architektur
- Statics:RWT PLUS ZT GmbH and Woschitz Engineering ZT GmbH
- Building Physics:RWT PLUS ZT GmbH and Woschitz Engineering ZT GmbH
- Technical Building System:RWT PLUS ZT GmbH and Woschitz Engineering ZT GmbH
Text description provided by the architects. The site of the former train station Nordbahnhof in the second district is currently considered one of the largest inner-city development areas in Vienna.
During a housing developer competition in 2010 the project “Wohnen mit alles!” came to live. It originated from the cooperation between a developer, two architect’s offices and a residential community. The building “Wohnen mit scharf!” by SUPERBLOCK is an exemplary project that alongside with aesthetic and architectural quality focuses on individual and intergenerational functionality.
The two eight-storey buildings are placed along the borders of the corner site, contributing to the clear spatial definition from the adjacent street and city space. The spacious outdoor area within the complex will be designed communally and serve as a contact zone for the residents of both buildings.
The vertically layered residential floors are virtually soaring above each other. Such kind of structure enables broad public use of the ground floor area, which is additionally highlighted through bright colour, thus underlining the urban character of the quarter, featuring a recreation area for young people and a café amongst others.
51 super-subsidized apartments are designed to accommodate a highly wide-ranging spectrum of population. The affordable conditions of the super-funding make it possible to address different income brackets. The low share of own funds will be particularly favourable for young people and immigrants.
The apartments (single-storey units and maisonette apartments) are situated along the naturally lit open staircase. The sculpted design of the balconies combined with the bright-coloured openings in the otherwise solid cubature lends the building a high recognition value and allows identifying the residents with their home.