- In Cooperation With:schlaich bergermann and partners, Stuttgart; stadia, São Paulo
- Structural Design :schlaich bergermann and partners – Knut Göppert with Knut Stockhusen and Miriam Sayeg
- Structural Team Members:Tiago Carvalho, Uli Dillmann, Andreas Eisele, Florian Geiger, Alberto Goosen, Sebastian Grotz, Jochen Gugeler, Achim Holl, Roman Kemmler, Hubert Kunz, Sandra Küstner, Walter Paganucci, Jana Pav- lovic, Bernd Ruhnke, Guilherme Sayeg, Tilman Schober, Alexander Stäblein, Alfred Strasdeit, Kai Zweigart
- Structural Design Of Solid Construction In Cooperation With:EGT, São Paulo; Larenge, São Paulo; Ruy Bentes, São Paulo
- Landscape Design:St raum a (scheme design phase), Interact, São Paulo
- Architect In Charge:Volkwin Marg and Hubert Nienhoff with Martin Glass
- Director Of Gmp Do Brazil:Ralf Amann
- Project Management:Martin Glass, Maike Carlsen
- Project Management In Brazil:Burkhard Pick, Sander-Christiaan Troost
- Team Members:Sophie-Charlotte Altrock, Felipe Bellani, Lena Brögger, Claudia Chiappini, Lieselotte Decker, Barbara Düring, Stephanie Eichelmann, Konstanze Erbe, Silke Flaßnöcker, Priscila Lima da Silva Giersdorf, Elke Glass, Ruthie Gould, Jacqueline Gregorius, Claudio Aceituno Husch, Fa- bian Kirchner, Juliana Kleba-Rizental, Jochen Köhn, Martin Krebes, Helge Lezius, Veit Lieneweg, Ausias Lobatón Ortega, Guilherme Maia, Rodrigo Math- ias Duro Teixeira, Lucia Martinez Rodriguez, Adel Motamedi , Dirk Müller, Dirk Peissl, Ivanka Percovic, Camila Preve, Nicolai Reich, Stefan Saß, Florian Schwarthoff, Fariborz Rahimi, Sara Taberner Bonastre, Sonia Taborda, An- guelica Larocca Troost, Katerine Witte
Text description provided by the architects. This stadium design was based on the idea of creating a simple but highly efficient stadium which also makes reference to the special location, to the fascination and natural diversity of forms in the tropical rainforest. Designed for 44,400 spectators, the stadium is located at the central traffic axis that links the airport with the inner city. The new building was integrated into a sports park with Sambadrome, field and track facilities, multi-purpose halls and an aquatic center. The project was developed in cooperation with the gmp partner practice STADIA from São Paulo and the structural engineers schlaich bergermann und partner.
Making best use of the topography with its gentle slope in the terrain, the stadium has been placed on a base which provides space for VIP access, the media, the players and parking spaces. A ring including spectator boxes, offices and a restaurant sepa- rates the upper tier from the lower tier, which is recessed in the base. The roof structure is composed of mutually bracing cantilever elements in the form of hollow steel box girders which also serve as large gutters for the discharge of the enormous quanti- ties of water expected during tropical rain events. In view of the hot and humid climate at the Amazon, the roof extends into a facade which provides shade to the spectator balconies and vertical access routes. The roof and facade panels consist of translucent glass fiber fabric.
The Arena da Amazônia is one of the world’s first stadiums to be certified under the LEED scheme administered by the US Green Building Council.