Location3910 Zwettl, Austria
Text description provided by the architects. The musical society of zwettl was founded in the year 1887. Its hitherto existing rehearsal space in the attic storey of the municipal office did neither answer to the musical society’s supraregional importance, nor to acoustic requirements. Transferring the music society frees space in the existing building for the increasing number of administration tasks.
The new building’s positioning frames the hitherto undefined place and presents an effective enhancement of the municipality’s entrance situation. Moreover, it offers the possibility for concerts of the musical society right next to the rehearsal space. With its contemporary, reduced cubical style the new building forms an intentional counterpoint to the adjacent municipality.
For illumination of the ground floor, the structure floats on a circumferential window belt. The façade design with gold-coloured diamond-shaped aluminium composite panels was derived from brass instruments and the pattern of the musical society’s uniforms. By providing a new building for its musical society, the municipality of zwettl signals the society’s importance not only for the town itself, but also beyond.