Being located right on the river Spree’s waterside in the Treptow – Köpenick area, the building is home to the rowing and the canoeing section of Berlin’s oldest gymnastics association, the “Turngemeinde in Berlin 1848 e.V.”
Following the flow of functions, the building is orientated from the street side, towards the Spree River. The boat yard is situated between the building and the river with the jetty.
The exterior is combined with the design of the building. The floor of the boat yard and of the building is designed like a folded concrete loop. The loop becomes a wall at the street side and the north side of the building. The side facades are made of transparent polyurethane elements, allowing the boats inside to be seen from the outside.
Almost the entire ground floor is occupied by the boat hall, providing space for 180 boats and the affiliated workshop.
The boats are carried through the gates of the boat-hall, over the yard and the jetty, into the water.
In the upper floor, the multifunctional club room and fitness areas are arranged. There are also dormitories, offices, a sauna and the changing rooms with sanitary rooms for the fitness area.
For better light and ventilation, there are two patios on the upper level. Therefore there´s no need for mechanical air conditioning in the fitness area.
The building has a compact surface to avoid heating losses in the winter months and sun warming in summer. The boat hall has no heating.