- Constructors:Hurore bvba, Danny Lauryssens glas nv, Varda cvba, Johan Bruininkx, Van Dyck Gebroeders
Text description provided by the architects. The work of the Belgian painter Koen van den Broek is based upon polaroid pictures that document his travels throughout America. As a result, this project was conceived as a travel through different universes, an architectural roadtrip with various destinations.
From the center of the studio, a high and oblong atelier (0) accessible by car, 6 exorbitant wooden doors provide access to distinct ateliers.
(1) is a palm garden, as an escape from the painter’s atelier.
(2) is the painter’s atelier, conceived as a white cube of 10 by 10 meters with skylights to simulate museumlike conditions.
(3) is a white and comfortable drawing office.
(4) is a patio clad with mirrors, reflecting the twenty-five paperbark maple trees to a forest.
(5) is a black library, covered with birch bark wall panels to prevent art works from being exhibited.
(6) is the storage.
(7) is the artist’s residence and consists of a kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. It can be accessed from the street by the second entrance gate.
The entire project is materialised by timber beams with oversized sections. The wooden doors act as a standard measure calibrating the different universes.