Jimenez Lai, founder of Chicago-based Bureau Spectacular has been selected as winner of the first Lisbon Triennale Millennium BCP Début Award. The award, presented by Millennium BCP president Fernando Nogueira, distinguishes a young architect or studio under 35 on outstanding work, development of original design thinking and the pursuit of critical ideas with a monetary prize of €5,000.
Jimenez Lai was chosen from 180 candidates for the “originality and range of his body of work, whose uncompromising and thought-provoking approach to formalism lends it an exploratory vein that,” in the words of the jury, “is crucial to the future of architecture.”
The international jury of the Début Award was formed by:
- Eva Franch I Gilabert (ES), founder of OOAA and Director of Storefront for
- Art and Architecture
- Ou Ning (CN), activist, curator, editor, artist and urban researcher
- Tatiana Bilbao (MX), founder of studio Tatiana Bilbao S.C.
- Beatrice Galilee (UK), chief curator of Close, Closer
- Diogo Seixa Lopes (PT), founder of studio Barbas Lopes, Arquitectos