In a call for a Sustainable New York City, Mayor Bloomberg stated: “Given that buildings account for more than 80 percent of all municipal greenhouse gas emissions, constructing buildings with energy-efficient features is essential to reducing those emissions, and DDC plays a critically important role in that work.”
This is a great idea for new construction, but what about the existing, aging buildings? Most older buildings were built in a time when energy costs were low and the exterior walls were used less for energy performance and more for structural integrity. Knocking these buildings down to start over would cause a greater environmental impact due to the tons of waste material that would need to be discarded. So, what is the solution? REskin. DesignByMany‘s challenges you to cleverly reskin a decaying urban building on the corner of Broadway and Reade St in New York City. Submissions can range from a focused investigation to an entire reskinning of the building.
The REskin challenge is sponsored by Autodesk and media partners ArchDaily. Winners will receive a full license of Autodesk Revit Architecture 2013. Check out the building and learn more after the break!
If the submission is a focused investigation, a wholistic application of the investigation must be represented. Submissions are encouraged, but not required, to incorporate sustainable technologies and strategies into the skin. The skin should be awesome, inventive, and buildable.
Assuming that the budget is not endless, each component of the skin should be “buildable.” As part of the submission, provide a brief fabrication method/proposal that clearly outlines what each component is made of and how it will be assembled. All final submissions must be in Revit “.rvt” format.
- Manhattan, NY
- Location: 289 Broadway
- Design shall not restrict sidewalk circulation.
- Design should conceptually enhance the building’s performance and efficiency without the loss of views, comfort, and attractiveness. .
- Design should creatively use/expand the repertoire of tools native to Autodesk Revit and its conceptual modeling environment.
- Design should be beautiful!
Datasets: (At the bottom of this post)
- Revit 2013 model
- Context Photos
- Reskinning Awards 2010
- Allied Works
- 15 Union Square West
- University of Technology Tower in Sydney
- 30-Day trial of Autodesk Revit can be found here. Students may download Autodesk Revit Architecture from the Autodesk Student Community.
Videos on Curtain Walls:
- Basic Curtain Wall
- Curtain Wall Workflow
- Custom Curtain Wall Panels
- Pattern based Curtain Panels01
- Pattern based Curtain Panels02
- Intro to Adaptive Components
- Hexagon Curtain Panels
- Curved Panels
- Reporting Parameters for Planarity
- Pattern-based Curtain Panels
Built for Building Information Modeling (BIM), Autodesk Revit Architecture helps you to capture and analyze design concepts, and more accurately maintain your vision through design, documentation, and construction. Judges:
- Zach Kron
- Greg Schleusner
- DesignByMany Community
- Post editable documentation (3d) as 2013 Revit file (.rvt)
- Post Fabrication/Construction Brief
- Post images (optional)
- Post diagrams explaining approach (optional)
- Post video explaining approach (optional)
- Submission July 9th 2012 at 11:59 pm (UTC/GMT -5)
- Community Voting July 16th 2012 at 11:59 pm (UTC/GMT -5)