DesignByMany’s latest challenge: Electric Vehicle Charging Station sponsored by HP and media partners ArchDaily. Historically, the filling station was designed with the basic concept of sheltering those in need of filling up their tanks and nothing more. However, as consumers adopt an environmentally conscious lifestyle and hybrid technology advances, the functionality of the filling station is no longer what it used to be. This challenge is to design an electric vehicle charging station that will define a new era of electric mobility.
DesignByMany is a challenge based design technology community where users post challenges to the community along with their design source files. The community can then post responses with their own source files to solve the challenge. They can also comment on the challenge and interact with other designers throughout the process.
- The design elements should bring a new definition to this concept of modern life, with the organization of the space, basic elements, and their composition.
- The location and design is chosen by the designer to show how the project and where electric vehicles are suited most.
- Please specify a location, urban conditions, as the basis of your analysis.
- Provide at least 15 places to charge electric vehicles.
- Design may include components to generate clean energy.
- No more than 250 square feet of storage and electric charging area.
- Connect the idea of new energies with the design.
- HP Designjet T790 24” PostScript ePrinter – The winner of this challenge selected by the judges will take home the latest in technical printing technology. The HP Designjet T790 24” PostScript ePrinter offers plug-and-play large-format printing, helping architects and designers achieve great prints without a hassle.
- Both the winner selected by the judges and the community winner will be featured on ArchDaily, The world’s most visited architecture website.
Precedent and sources
- Wiki: Charging Stations
- fosterandpartners.com: Repsol Service Stations
- travelpod.com: Felix Candela
- weareprivate.net: Texaco Gas Station by Arne Jacobsen
- Required – Post design model and documentation (3d and/or 2d)
- Required – Post Images and diagrams explaining approach
- Optional – Post video explaining approach
- Submission January 8th 2012 at 11:59 pm*
- Community Voting January 15th 2012 at 11:59 pm**
* Judges will select a single winner as the official winner of the challenge.
** Community will select a community winner that will win a smaller prize yet to be determined.
Thanks Rodrigo for Winning the Design-a-Challenge Competition and submitting this challenge!