One of the main idea’s behind the 2012 Venice Biennale’s “Common Ground” theme, as stated by director David Chipperfield, is “to reinforce our understanding of architectural culture, and to emphasize the philosophical and practical continuities that define it”. With the exhibition “Culture Under Construction | The Collectivity of Cultural Space”, Mexico aims to develop an understanding of the distinct contribution that architecture can make to define the collectivity of cultural spaces while strengthening the connection between existing buildings and emerging architecture.
Mexico will exhibit thirteen projects that reveal the significance of contemporary Mexican culture of architecture in one of the most emblematic buildings in Venice, the Church of San Lorenzo, which they will restore as a contribution to Venice’s built heritage.
Continue reading to learn more.
In an agreement with the Venice Comune, the Church of San Lorenzo will become a permanent home for Mexico’s work in future art and architecture biennales over the next nine years. Although the space is not yet in a safe condition to allow visitors, individuals will be invited to view the ongoing restoration from the entrance.
Curated by Miguel Adrià, the list of works and architects exhibited will include:
1. City of books and the image. Master plan (Alejandro Sánchez + Bernardo Gómez-Pimienta ) / José Luis Martínez Library (Alejandro Sánchez) / Castro Leal Library (Bernardo Gómez-Pimienta) / García Terrés Library, arquitectura 911sc (Jose Castillo + Saidee Springall) / Monsiváis Library (JSa / Javier Sánchez + Aisha Ballesteros) / Library for the Blind (Taller de Arquitectura / Mauricio Rocha + Gabriela Carrillo) / Alí Chumacero Library (José Vigil + Jorge Calvillo) / Center for the Image (Isaac Broid) / Offices (Tatiana Bilbao S.C)
2. National Cineteque XXI Century / rojkind arquitectos (Michel Rojkind + Gerardo Salinas)
3. Spanish Cultural Center (arquitectura 911sc (Jose Castillo + Saidee Springall) / JSa (Javier Sánchez)
4. Elena Garro Cultural Center/ Fernanda Canales + Saidee Springall
5. Kurimanzutto Gallery / TAX (Alberto Kalach)
6. La Tallera Siqueiros, Cuernavaca (Frida Escobedo)
7. San Pablo Cultural Center, Oaxaca / Taller de Arquitectura (Mauricio Rocha + Gabriela Carrillo)
8. Amparo Museum, Puebla / TEN Arquitectos (Enrique Norten)
9. Rufino Tamayo Museum / Teodoro González de León
10. San Luis Potosí Arts Center / Alejandro Sánchez
11. Labyrinth Museum of Arts and Sciences / Legorreta + Legorreta
12. Botanical Garden, Culiacán / Tatiana Bilbao S.C
13. Republic Square / Autoridad del Espacio Público (Felipe Leal + Daniel Escotto)
Exhibition: Culture under Construction: The Collectivity of Cultural Space
Venue: Ex-Chiesa di San Lorenzo, Campo San Lorenzo, Venice, Italy
Commissioner: Gastón Ramírez Feltrín
Curator: Miquel Adrià
Organization: National Fine Arts Institute; National Council for Culture and the Arts
Producing Institutions: México: National Fine Arts Institute. Italy: Green Spin s.r.l. Vicenza – Venice
Dates: 8/29 - 11/25/2012
Official Opening: 8/27/2012
Preview: 7/27 - 7/28/2012, open from 10:00 to 20:00
Opening Hours: 10:00 to 18:00 - Tuesday to Sunday (closed on Mondays)