- Client :Swire Properties Ltd/Celestial Fortune
- Interiors :Heatherwick Studio
- Local Interiors :Ensemble
- Local Architects :RSP Architects, Planners & Engineers
- Landscape Designer :COEN Design International
- Main Contractor:Unison
- Mechanical & Electrical Engineers:Squire Mec
- Civil & Structural Engineers:RSP Structures
- Civil:RSP Structures
- Structural Engineers:RSP Structures
Text description provided by the architects. Located in the historic Orchard Road Neighbourhood of Singapore and commissioned by Swire Properties, the 104.5 metre building - the first residential project in Asia by the studio - offers a unique response to its location that entwines nature with city apartment living.
EDEN is designed to resemble a spine blade: simple vertical rectilinear plains with slim windows form the blade with generous garden balconies situated in between. This approach grants privacy for each of the twenty apartments and allows for a generous central living space that forms the heart of each residence. The unconventional concrete walls are moulded with a topographical map of Singapore’s terrain which has been abstracted to create a unique three-dimensional texture.
The focus on creating a garden for each apartment is a response to the disconnection between high rise apartments and the lush greenery at street level in Singapore. Responding to Lee Kuan Yew’s original vision of Singapore as a ‘city in a garden’, the design extends the landscape of Singapore upwards through the building with a series of hanging gardens, connecting the interior living space with the outdoors, providing views of Singapore’s green landscape.