Never before have there been such fundamental uncertainties about our future. Obvious signs of climate change, a political landscape in flux, rapid advances in technology and their consequential societal changes are making us anxious about our personal life in the next decades.
The Laboratory is a cross-disciplinary initiative that brings together architects, artists, designers and researchers to speculate about the near future through an exploration of our social, cultural, spatial and technological present. What could the impact be onto our shared future? Avoiding dystopia, the workshop aims to come up with productive narratives about the future that try to make sense of our shifting world from the perspective of the individual. What could our everyday life look like in 2035?
For Foresight, we will work with the AA’s Head of Photography, fine art photographer Sue Barr, and architectural writer Rosa Ainsley to capture glimpses of our life in the near future through the medium of image and text. Technical input will include methods of observing and researching, digital photography, image production and manipulation as well as creative and structured writing. The result of the workshop will be documented in a publication and shown in an exhibition.
The Laboratory based at the Stuttgart State Academy of Art and Design, one of the oldest and biggest art schools in Germany. A public programme of lectures and a series of visits to unknown and unseen places will give participants the opportunity to experience the city from an unusual perspective.
Prominent Features of the workshop/ skills developed
• – Understanding of current developments, socially, culturally, spatially and technologically and their possible impact onto our shared future
• – Understanding of the limits and possibilities of architecture in this context
• – Development of an awareness of the culture and politics of images
• – Development of observational skills and sensitivities
• – Development of the ability to construct a narrative through images and written text
• – Introduction to methods of fast paced and structured research
• – Introduction to digital fine art photography, image production, manipulation and reception, technically and culturally
• – Introduction to creative writing and narrative building
• – Working and communicating with experts from other fields
• – Guest lecturers and critics from different disciplinary fields
• – Programme of visits
• – Production of a book and an exhibition
TitleForesight - AA Visiting School Stuttgart
FromSeptember 06, 2019 11:46 AM
UntilSeptember 14, 2019 11:46 AM
VenueState Academy of Art and Design Stuttgart