Three winning firms have been selected in the competition for the Museum of the 20th Century to be located in the heart of the Berlin Cultural Forum in Berlin, Germany. The 200 million euro building and site plan will serve as the new home of multiple internationally significant art collections, including the National Gallery’s Marx and Pietzsch collections, sections of the Marzona collection, and a collection of works from the Kupferstichkabinett (Museum of Prints and Drawings).
In 2015, the competition was launched, aimed at finding a design scheme that would encompass the site layout, architecture and landscaping around the museum.
Facing stiff competition from a list of 42 renowned finalists, Herzog & de Meuron together with Vogt Landscape Architects has emerged victorious for their brick, warehouse-inspired design. Runner up prizes were given to Lundgaard & Tranberg Architects with SCHØNHERR A / S, and Bruno Fioretti Marquez with Capatti Staubach Landscape Architects, while four jury recognitions were awarded to proposals from OMA, SANAA, Staab Architekten, and Aires Mateus e Associados.
The winning design is conceived as an interaction of two inner roads, dividing the museum into four thematic quadrants. The interior “boulevards” invite visitors to linger to view art or socialize.
The building’s large gable allow diffuse light to penetrate deep into the building, which can be controlled at select locations for optimal art viewing conditions.
“As in the city, the central intersection is the most well-trafficked place. At the center of the museum, you are able to view the whole of the building and its structure at a glance,” explain the architects.
"We see connecting and networking as the major goals of our project. The museum is the place where different paths cross, where different mentalities and worlds allow an encounter The museum has several entrances, as it is oriented in all directions one could say, the museum of the 20th century is the goal for the far outlying Piazzetta and draws attention to the local collection building for art. "
The finalists included:
- 3XN Architects, Copenhagen, Denmark with Henrik Jørgensen Landskab as, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Aires Mateus e Associados, Lisbon, Portugal with PROAP Lda, Lisbon
- Beatriz Alés + Elena Zaera, Castelló, Spain
- Arga16, Berlin, Germany with Anne Wex Berlin, Germany
- Barkow Leibinger GmbH, Berlin, Germany with Professor Gabriele G. Kiefer, Berlin, Germany
- BAROZZI/VEIGA GmbH, Barcelona, Spanien with antón & ghiggi landschaft architektur GmbH, Zürich, Switzerland
- Behnisch Architekten, Stuttgart, Germany
- Bruno Fioretti Marquez Architekten, Berlin, Germany with capatti staubach Landschaftsarchitekten, Berlin, Germany
- David Chipperfield Architects, Berlin, Germany with Wirtz International nv, Schoten, Belgium
- CHOE HACKH/NETTER ARCHITEKTEN, Frankfurt am Main, Germany with Park Design, Kejoo Park, Seoul, South Korea
- Christ & Gantenbein Architekten, Basel, Switzerland with Fontana Landschaftsarchitektur GmbH, Basel, Switzerland
- CUKROWICZ NACHBAUR ARCHITEKTEN ZT GMBH, Bregenz, Österreich with Studio Vulkan, Landschaftsarchitektur GmbH, Zürich
- Pedro Domingos arquitectos unip. Ida + Pedro Matos Gameiro arquitecto Ida, Lisbon, Portugal with Baldios arquitectos paisagistas Ida, Lisbon, Portugal
- Dost Architektur GmbH, Schaffhausen, Switzerland with Bösch Landschaftsarchitektur, Schaffhausen, Switzerland
- Max Dudler Architekt, Berlin, Germany with Planorama Landschaftsarchitektur, Berlin, Germany
- Sou Fujimoto Architects, Tokyo, Japan with Latz + Partner LandschaftsArchitekten Stadtplaner, Kranzberg, Germany
- gmp International GmbH, Berlin, Germany
- Grüntuch Ernst Planungs-GmbH, Berlin, Germany with sinai Gesellschaft von Landschaftsarchitekten mbH, Berlin, Germany
- Zaha Hadid Limited (Zaha Hadid Architects), London, UK with GROSS.MAX. Ltd., Edinburgh, UK
- HASCHER JEHLE Architektur, Hascher Jehle Planen and Beraten GmbH, Berlin, Germany with Weidinger Landschaftsarchitekten, Berlin, Germany
- Heinle, Wischer und Partner, Freie Architekten, Berlin, Germany with Prof. Heinz-W. Hallmann Landschaftsarchitekt BDLA, Aachen, Germany
- Herzog & de Meuron Basel Ltd., Basel, Switzerland with Vogt Landschaftsarchitekten AG, Zürich/Berlin
- Florian Hoogen Architekt BDA Mönchengladbach, Germany with h e r m a n n s landschaftsarchitektur/umweltplanung, Schwalmtal, Germany
- LACATON & VASSAL ARCHITECTES, Paris, France with CYRILLE MARLIN, Pau, France
- Lundgaard & Tranberg Arkitekter A/S, Kopenhagen, Dänemark with SCHØNHERR A/S, Kopenhagen, Dänemark
- MANGADO Y ASOCIADOS SL., Pamplona, Spanien with TOWNSHEND LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTS LIwithED, London, UK
- Josep Lluis Mateo – MAP Arquitectos, Barcelona, Spanien with D‘ici là paysages & territoires, Paris, France
- Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA); Rotterdam, Niederlande with Inside Outside, Amsterdam, Niederlande
- Dominique Perrault Architecture, Paris, France with Agence Louis Benech Paysagiste, Paris, France
- REX Architecture PC, New York, USA with Marti-Baron+Miething, Paris, France
- Sauerbruch Hutton Architekten, Berlin, Germany with Gustafson Porter, London, UK
- Schulz und Schulz Architekten GmbH, Leipzig, Germany, Petra and Paul Kahlfeldt Architekten, Berlin, Germany with POLA Landschaftsarchitekten, Berlin, Germany
- Kazuyo Sejima + Ryue Nishizawa/S A N A A, Tokyo, Japan with Bureau Bas Smets, Brüssel, Belgium
- Shenzhen Huahui Design Co., Ltd., Nanshan (Shenzhen), China with Beijing Chuangyi Best Landscaping Design Co., Ltd., Beijing, China
- Snøhetta architects, Oslo, Norwegen
- SO - IL Ltd, New York, USA with Stoss Landscape Urbanism, Boston, USA
- Staab Architekten GmbH, Berlin, Germany with Levin Monsigny Landschaftsarchitekten, Berlin, Germany
- TOPOTEK 1, Berlin, Germany/Pordenone, Italy with TOPOTEK 1, Berlin, Germany
- Emilio Tuñón Arquitectos, Madrid, Spanien, Tuñón & Ruckstuhl Architekten GmbH SIA, Rüschlikon, Switzerland with Benavides Laperche Paisajismo, Madrid, Spanien
- UNStudio, Amsterdam, Niederlande, Wenzel + Wenzel Freie Architekten, Berlin, Germany with Ramboll Studio Dreiseitl GmbH, Überlingen, Germany
- ARGE Weyell Zipse Architekten/Hörner Architekten Basel, Switzerland with James Melsom Landschaftsarchitekt BSLA, Basel, Switzerland
- Riken Yamamoto & FIELDSHOP Co., Ltd., Yokohama, Japan, Holzer Kobler Architekturen Berlin GmbH, Berlin, Germany, Holzer Kobler Architekturen GmbH, Zürich, Switzerland with vetschpartner Landschaftsarchitekten AG, Zürich, Switzerland
All of the finalists designs will be on display as part of an exhibition on the competition from 18 November 2016 to January 8, 2017 in the Cultural Forum.
News via National Galerie 20.