Open for Registration!
International Baikal Winter University of Urban Planning 2017
From 27th of January till 9th of February – the 18th session of our workshop.
Topiс of this year: "Urban rivers rehabilitation as a part sustainable development"
The International Baikal Winter University of Urban Planning invites students, assistants, graduates, young specialists, professionals in following fields of activity:
- urban planning design
- landscape architects
- urban economics
- transport engineering
- urban sociology
- urban economy and more
This program is an original model of training young professionals of various specialties related to urban planning, and allows them to develop a higher level of conceptual thinking, communication, mastery of analytical and design approaches in an international multidisciplinary partnership working with dynamically developing town planning system of the city of Siberia.
The workshop is open to students of master level minimum and to young professionals under 30. Fluency in English is required. All nationalities and fields of work are welcome
About Winter Uni:
Winter University was founded in 1999 by the administration of Irkutsk, with ISTU, and with the participation of institutes and public organizations. Principle International Baikal Winter University Of Urban Planning Design
(IBUUPD) sessions based on the experience of the Les Ateliers Internationaux de maîtrise d’oeuvre urbaine de Cergy-Pontoise – International Urban Planning Workshops of Cergy-Pontoise, France, which was created own original approach and strategy of the summer sessions, proven over 30 years in various countries around the world, which is to create a competitive programs and implementing them in the work of project team comprising of young professionals with different training from different countries and cultures.
For 17 years in the design of innovative educational programs attended by more than 1,000 molodyhspetsialistov, assistants, experts, members of the International Jury, representatives of 50 universities, young professionals and experienced experts from 25 countries: Germany, UK, Spain, Italy, France, Norway, Sweden, Bulgaria, Ukraine, China, Korea, Japan, Lebanon, India, Mexico, Brazil, Mongolia, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey, the U.S. and Georgia and Russian cities.
Relevance of the topic:
An important problem is the degradation of the landscape surrounding the city small water flows, pollution and water quality deterioration of small rivers and streams. But the areas adjacent to the small rivers and flows should not be underestimated since their location and watercourse shape can be forming element of the city building structure. In addition to the historical and cultural potential of coastal areas, the importance of this resorce is defyined by: aesthetic purpose of the river, which has been and remains one of the main factors for the formation of systems of visual city dominants; the formation of an ensemble building and perception of the architecture of this building as the silhouette of the city; and panoramic views opening up from the banks of the rivers.
The territory of the city of Irkutsk is accounted for a large number of small urban rivers: Kaya, Ushakovka, Creek Valley Dolgaya, Kuzmiha and Bolshaya Kuzmiha. Adjacent territories of the small streams and quays are under destruction turning into garbage dumps and abandoned areas. For unknown reasons a part of the river body of some rivers is placed in the concrete pipes passing underground. Unfortunately, the development of modern society in the world does not exclude the risk of adverse effects on the environment, including the aquatic environment.
1. To design a conception of development of urban recreational, public and residential spaces on the riverfront areas
2. To suggest new urban scenarios of recreational, public and residential spaces for riverfront development
3. To develop the program of implementation of the new urban scenarios in the existing cityplanning conditions of coastal areas
4. To find instruments to improve the quality of life and attraction of the city by developing the riverfront area
The terms of participation
- English - Working language of the workshop.
- Registration fee (covers the cost of the participant on accommodation, meals, excursions during 3 weeks, an educational program)
15.09.2016 - assistants
23.09.2016 - participants
Conditions of participation in the 18 session
- master, phd students and young specialists are invited
- applications must be sent till 23 September 2016, WU's Scientific Board will choose candidates
- participation fee - 350 euro (accomodation, meals (breakfast and lunch), common events, excursions are included, we’ll also grant you diplomas of advanced training)
- during the workshop you can listen to lectures by international experts and get an invaluable experience of team work with professionals of different specializations
- workshop lasts for 3 weeks - from the 27 January till the 19 of February; each week is a stage, i.e. a concept, strategy, project and after - 2 presentations - for an expert jury that will choose winners in the end, and for Irkutsk city administration.
- 30 persons will be chosen. 20 of representatives from Europe, America, Asia, Africa, and 10 from the Russian regions
- Invites young professionals, students, undergraduates must complete and submit an application till 15.09.16, the nominees will be considered by the Academic Council of the Winter University and the Organizing Committee of the Les Ateliers 22.09.16, priority is given to those who already have experience in international workshops
- The duties of assistants included – training workshop during November, December, January remotely, then from January 28 you will support teams during the workshop and to help organize events during the session
- We provide you with a transfer of up to 25,000 rubles, accommodation, meals - breakfast and lunch, common events - parties, banquets, a trip to Lake Baikal, as at the end of workshop, we provide a degree of professional development
- During the workshop, you can listen to a series of lectures by international experts, get invaluable experience in the design team with experts in different fields
- For participation will be selected 5 people, Workshop lasts 3 weeks from 27 January to 19 February
- We invite practicing architects, urban planners, developers, professors with experience in the design and implementation of social and recreational spaces in the city
- We invite you, if you are presenting to our workshop 2 of your students or young professionals from your company
- We take on your travel expenses and hotel accommodation from 13 to 19 February
- Representatives of the expert jury prepares a report on the session, which they will present in Document #4, as well as a presentation of the projects, which will be present for the students of ISTU
Curator of the session
Applications will be accepted by:
International coordinator of International Baikal Winter University of Urban Planning
664000, Russia, Irkutsk
Lermontova st, 83, К-124
Irkutsk National Research Technical University
f +7 3952 40 54 11
Download application forms for participants HERE
Download application forms for assistants HERE
Title"International Baikal Winter University Of Urban Planning Design" workshop
FromJanuary 27, 2017 03:00 PM
UntilFebruary 19, 2017 09:00 PM
VenueIrkutsk National Research Technical University, Irkutsk, Russia