- Client : Comune Di Verbania
- Concept Design, Preliminary Design : Peter Cook, Garcia BBM, M. Mariani, E. Auletta, Bianchini, Lusiardi Associati, A. Sandelewski, F. Brenci, A. Di Muzio, Federico Bargone, Francesco Bartolucci, Salvador Perez Arroyo, STONES _, Sbarch Studio Bargone Architetti Associati
- Tender Design : STONES _, Sbarch Studio Bargone Architetti Associati, Peter Cook, Garcia BBM, M. Mariani, E. Auletta, Bianchini, Lusiardi Associati, A. Sandelewski, F. Brenci, A. Di Muzio, Salvador Perez Arroyo
- Construction Design : Fabrizio Bianchetti, Giancarlo Marzorati, Stefano Rossi, Guido Davoglio, Fulvio Epifani
- General Contractors: : Notarimpresa s.p.a. / Tecno Costruzioni S.r.l. / CDL s.r.l.
- Construction Cost : 13.600.000,00 euro
- City : Verbania
- Country : Italy
Text description provided by the architects. The multifunctional cultural complex (CEM), with a contemporary and sculptural identity, is located on the Maggiore Lake coast.
The architectural complex hosts a wide entrance foyer for cultural events and art exhibitions, a theatre for 500 people and a 200 one, service and ancillary spaces, offices, a rehearsal theatre, a restaurant and a cafe. The building is located right at the San Bernardino river estuary, near the historical Villa Maioni and behind the local Civic Library. The external landscape is sculptured with a system of descending bleachers allowing a breathtaking panoramic view of the lake and the surrounding Italian Alps.
Four big volumes with gentle and curved shapes inspired by the lake stones and linked by a prismatic volume facing the landscape forme the new public Centre on the Maggiore Lake of Verbania.
The lake stone is the very symbol of the project and the striking surrounding context the utmost trigger of the Centre. Its architecture grows from the unique relation between mountains, city and lake
The building is open towards the surrounding. The big external square defines a new urban and public place of great social value, an open space designed as meeting place, leisure, events. The location is perfect, focal between the urban centres of Intra and Pallanza. The Centre acts as the pivotal start-up of a wider city requalification, both social and landscape wise.
Zinc metal sheets with a characteristic shading and vibrant colour clad the four curved volumes, with the colour recalling and harmonizing with the Verbania lake and skies. A local stone is used for the external pavings. Inside timber, worm welcoming and natural is the main element.