The Global Arts Affairs Foundation (GAA), in collaboration with PLANE—SITE, is releasing a series of video interviews with architects to be shown as part of the TIME SPACE EXISTENCE Exhibition at the 2016 Venice Architecture Biennale. At the start of Denise Scott Brown's interview, the architect declares,"I've fought to make buildings useful and beautiful, and in that order." In her segment, Scott Brown elaborates on the need for architects to consult multiple precedents to be most effective, the view that photography has become a sub-discipline of architecture, and her position as a role model for young female architects. For her complete perspective, watch Scott Brown's interview, and read on for a complete list of the other interviewees.
- Denise Scott Brown (USA) calls upon young architects to grasp the present moment
- Peter Eisenman (USA) questions architectural pedagogy
- Dirk Hebel (Switzerland) advocates for architectural research and sustainable building materials
- Curtis Fentress (USA) expands on the dynamic role of public architecture (available May 25)
- The late Frei Otto (Germany) reflects on his personal and professional legacy
- Wong Mun Summ and Richard Hassell, of WOHA, (Singapore) promote the radical concept of green vertical cities (available May 18)
- Meinhard von Gerkan (Germany) (available May 12)
The videos, each approximately five minutes, mix theoretical and philosophical concerns with personal trajectories of the architects, yielding discussions on where architecture has been and where it is going. According to the organizers, the interviews as a whole "[are meant to] offer a discursive response to Alejandro Aravena’s theme for the 2016 Architecture Biennale, Reporting from the Front."
The project will be on view at the Palazzo Bembo and Palazzo Mora from May 28, 2016 through November 27, 2016. The interviews which have been released thus-far are available for viewing here and on the PLANE—SITE's Vimeo channel.
Interview descriptions have been culled from the The Global Arts Affairs Foundation.