Architects: Miguel Marcelino
- Area: 2885 m²
- Year: 2014
Structural Engineering: Betar, José Venâncio
- Collaborators: Pedro Dourado, José Figueiredo, António Portugal, Andreia Florentino
- Plumbing Engineering: Ana Luísa Ferreira
- Electrical Engineering: Fernando Carvalho Araújo
- Mechanical Engineering: António Lopes do Rego
- Phases: 2008 (open competition, 1st prize), 2009-2010 (project), 2011-2014 (construction)
- Gross Volume: 10.963 m3
- Building Footprint: 2.885 m2
- Site Area: 15.678 m2
- Client: Municipality of Vagos
- City: Fonte de Angeão
- Country: Portugal
Text description provided by the architects. The school setting allows a close relationship with nature, located in the countryside, the new primary school + kindergarten is surrounded by beautiful adult trees.
The proposal explores the relations between inside and outside through two systems that will define the spatial organization of the school: in the classrooms, an atmosphere of concentration is sought, so the large windows open to gaps, like private courtyards, providing controlled natural light and diagonal views to the surroundings. In the common zones the opposite happens: direct and frontal views, large perspective fields in all directions as well as plenty of natural light in the corridors.
There is no separation between structure, architecture and building services. The structure is at once architecture and its material is the actual finish. Pipes and cable trays are not hidden and most of ventilation and cooling is done through semi-passive systems.