- Structure:Integral, Estudos de Engenharia, Lda; Eng. Arsénio Couto
- Contractor:João Vieira & Filhos, Lda
- Client:Casa do Povo da Maia
- Architect In Charge:Fernando Monteiro
- Project Team:Marco Resendes, Miguel Sousa, Diana Policarpo, Pedro Furtado, Maria Bento, Susana Ferreira
- City:Ribeira Grande
Text description provided by the architects. Nowadays, and more and more, collective equipments have been sustainably planned to respond the needs of a constant urban growing. So that, Maia village, on the north Shore of S.Miguel Island, has asked to plan a kindergarten for the wish and requirement of their inhabitants.
Our concept lies on local volumetric references such as old tobacco factories whose constructions defines Maia’s skyline. Establish connection between these structures was crucial to maintain its memory and, at the same time, generate a sustainable urban growth.
The only floor was conceived to bring out inner courtyards or sheltered outer spaces, to set up different environments for the children.
The project volumes are oriented on a north/south axe to control solar light as well as take advantage of natural landscapes.