- Survey : Vermessungsbüro Grandjean & Kollegen
- Sanitary Engineering : IGT Ingenieurgesellschaft für Gebäudetechnik
- General Contractor Oval Roof : Prebeck GmbH, Stahl- und Anlagenbau, Bogen with: Rubner Holzbau, HEWA, Merk timber
- Client : Messe Frankfurt Venue GmbH, Marc Legg
- Clearance : 4,55 m
- Height Above Street : 5,30 m
- Steel Weight : 75 t (metric), 40 and 20 mm steel plates
- Total Weight : 110 t (metric)
- Roof Materials : 50 mm plywood-panels, up to 18 m long, polyurethane coating on top
- City : Frankfurt
- Country : Germany
Text description provided by the architects. The German Design Council has announced the Tor Nord on the premises of the Messe Frankfurt as winning project of the 2014 Iconic Awards.
A highly visible white oval roof covers the control area of the main gate of the Frankfurt trade fair, creating a new landmark at the city entrance. The oval form stands out against the orthogonal buildings of the fairground and the diversity of directions focussing at the main gate, enabling easy orientation.
The supporting structure of the roof recalls natural, grown forms. This effect is not due to intentional formal mimicry. It results from a parametric design strategy and its mathematical and geometrical principles.
Like a tree, the roof’s structure resonates with the specific conditions of the site, thus creating a formal expression with striking logic. The roof displays the intrinsic beauty of the laws of nature, the construction’s delicacy and its elegant details. Close cooperation of planners and builders made this possible.
In April 2014 the project already won the special award for sustainable steel architecture of the Federal Ministry of the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety (BMUB).