LocationHong Kong, Hong Kong
FurnitureMillimeter Interior Design Ltd, Homeless
LightingArtemide, Flos, Modern Lighting, Zodiac
Tiles & SanitaryColourliving, H2O, TOTO, Roca
Text description provided by the architects. This design gave a boundless make over to the structure of an existing 40-year old house, transforming it into a comfortable and modern accommodation. The designer successfully divided this two-storey house into a garage, a living room, a dining room, a garden, two guest rooms, two guest bathrooms, one helper suite, a master bedroom suite with a spacious walk in closet and a study room.
The highlight of this design is that it incorporates a sustainable green approach to reduce environmental impact.
- The external walls of the house are rebuilt over an old fashion style house preserving the original structure. This not only helps save on building reconstruction cost, but it reduces waste to protect the environment.
- LED light tubes are used to create a time motion-like garage, springing off a hip and surreal effect.
- The inclusion of nature indoors or an interaction of ecology and living space is created by planting a small maple tree in the center of house.
- The open roof above the maple tree provides sun light for the tree and also brings in natural light into the glass partitioned study room.
Through the design, technology assists in green living in the following ways:
- Motion sensors are used for the garage gate and lighting. All lightings in the house are automatically turned off when no one is present.
- Aluminum panels are installed to prevent sun heat from entering the house and hence, reducing the use of air conditioners.
- Large solar panels are installed on the roof top to provide a source of natural power to water heaters, lighting and backup batteries.
Transforming an old fashioned style house into an urban-style home and yet maintaining the original construction without trace is something that deserves to be accredited. Now that environmental awareness or being socially responsible has become an increasing trend in society, bringing sustainability into homes is an alternate lifestyle for the new generation. The design adopted in this case breaks boundaries between interior and exterior space and establishes a green and conscious lifestyle, meeting the needs of a growing demand in society today.