- Structure : Mott MacDonald, Darrin Liddell
- Services : Mott MacDonald, Warner Brunton
- Fabricator 'Cloak Fabrication & Installation' : Design Productions, Cameron McAuley & Justin Groves
- 'Live Roof® Installation' : Stormwater360, Greg Yeoman
- Operations & Development Manager : Tania Berryman
- Relations Manager : Charles Berryman
- Architects In Charge : Tim Hay, Jeff Fearon, Doug Weir, Matt Roberts
- Cloak Fabrication & Installation : Design Productions, Cameron McAuley & Justin Groves
- City : Auckland
- Country : New Zealand
Text description provided by the architects. Te Kaitaika ‘The Cloak’ has been established in the heart of the growing urban environment at Auckland International Airport.
A sculptural built form is sited on the corner of two recently upgraded streets, one heavily traffic based & one focussed on the pedestrian. The functional brief was simple - a flexible space for hosting events, meetings & introducing the strategy & opportunities behind the developing precinct. Beyond these functional requirements, the brief was aspirational - the architecture should demonstrate opportunities for innovative design & sustainable operation.
The response used the freedom of its scale to explore sculptural & structural directions & brings together rich layering of material, texture & form to express cultural & national values.
A contoured living green roof is established over a shaped engineered timber frame, this shape providing the shoulders from which an encircling & distinctive woven mesh screen forms Te Kaitaka - The Cloak
The architecture is a combination of readily available construction approaches, layered with a degree of craft & legible materiality to showcase New Zealand sustainable design, materials, & innovation.