- Architect In Charge:Phil Smith
- Design Team:Graham Collingridge, Grayson Wanda
- Selected Subcontractors And Suppliers:Natural Habitats, Adorn Range, Starex
- Contract Duration:8 months
- Gross External Area:550m²
- Total Cost:NZ $1.71 million including external works
- Mechanical & Electrical Consultant:Eco Designs Ltd.
- Country:New Zealand
Text description provided by the architects. The site for Fantails is located in a prominent position at the centre of a new subdivision of Auckland.
The client wanted the building to be a bold architectural statement, clearly standing out from the typical houses and commercial buildings around.
The triangular plan and elevation of the building are abstracted from the form of the fantail, a native NZ bird with a striking fanned tail, after which the Childcare is named.
Viewed from the entrance, the striking roof form comes together to look like the fan of the fantail, whilst from each opposite corner, the form takes on a more nautical feel, looking like overlapping sails on a yacht, thereby recalling its location in the ‘city of sails’.