We recently received the latest issue of Mark Magazine. This issue’s main theme is “Into the Wild, Breaking new ground in Pioneertown”. In this edition you can find in depth previously featured projects by AD, like Torus by Norisada Maeda, The Umeå Art Museum or the work of Australian practice, Lyons. Full info after the break.
From the Publisher. Former Hollywood wild-west Pioneertown now plays host to 350 off-the-grid inhabitants. Mark looks at how they have reappropriated this scripted-setting into a fully functioning town. Architect Linda Taalman shows two sustainable houses she designed, along Pionneertown’s outskirts, while art collector Jerry Sohn reveals three spiritual pavilions.
Then Issue #46 visits two houses designed by Jun Igarashi in Hokkaido, stops in with 3D-printing visionary Enrico Dini in Pisa, and heads to a floating school by NLÉ in Lagos before talking to Álvaro Siza Vieira in Porto about his reading habits.
Bierman Henket, Bolles+Wilson, Bernaskoni, John Körmeling, Leeton Pointon, Schneider+Schumacher, Norisada Maeda Atelier, Alex McDowell, Henning Larsen, Atelier TeamMinus, World Map, DMVA & A3, AP Atelier, Storp Weber, Neutelings Riedijk, Rudy Ricciotti, Zaha Hadid
- Introduction: Pioneertown, California
- Taalman Koch Architecture: Linda Taalman built herself an unplugged weekend home that has inspired others to do the same.
- Taalman Koch Architecture: Kyle Laughlin commissioned Taalman Koch to design a small prefab home with minimal impact on the landscape.
- Arata Isozaki: Art collector Jerry Sohn has three Arata Isozaki-designed pavilions for meditation or daydreaming.
- Boyd Wilson: Magdalen Boyd-Wilson let her retreat disappear into the landscape.
- Jun Igarashi in Hokkaido: Jun Igarashi's two new houses testify to the ongoing development of his architecture.
- Lyons in Melbourne: Lyons is doing the most intriguing things with the city's institutional buildings.
- Enrico Dini in Pisa: Visionary 3D-printing pioneer Enrico Dini explains hot properly colonize a planet
- Níall McLaughlin in London: for McLaughlin, every job is a fresh challange
- Speech in Berlin: Sergei Tchoban designed a museum for the display of his collection of architectural drawings.
- March in New York: March turns rendering into an art form.
- Adrian Streich in Dulliken: Adrian Streich Architects converted an industrial monument into an apartment complex.
- Diederendirrix in Eindhoven: Diederendirrix converted an old Philips factory into an apartment building.
- Álvaro Siza Vieira in Porto: In a novel, characters sometimes take over the story. A similar thing can happen in architecture.