Architects: Gsottbauer architektur.werkstatt
- Area: 1198 m²
- Year: 2013
Photographs:Birgit Köll, Alessio Perfetti
Text description provided by the architects. Situated in the uplands northeast of Innsbruck, Gnadenwald is a rural parish with bustling club activities. The fire station- and club house encloses the southerly situated school yard, while incorporating the – already existing - adjoining tavern building situated higher than the club house, together with the beeches in the background. The event area is encircled spatially by flying- and projecting roofs, the open air theater, and the trees, which has the effect of turning the “plaza of beeches” into a subtle open space that oscillates between covered and open areas.
The heart of the facility is the function room, offering a variety of views to the school yard, the event area and the close mountain range.
The fire station (in contact with the ground) was built in reinforced concrete. The overlying club house section is a timber structure that is paneled with white fir – inside and outside. Solely exposed parts over the roof are coated with weatherproof VM-zinc. The building was designed to meet the best low-energy standards.