Text description provided by the architects. Opened in 1933 and completed in its current state in 1953, the Armenian Opera Theater was designed by Armenian architect Alexander Tamanian. The theater is one of Tamanian’s most profilic architectural works, which include a plethora of Armenian architectural icons such as his hydroelectric station (1926), Republic Square (1926–1941) and many others.
The Opera Theater is located in Armenia’s capital city of Yerevan and functions as the primary performance hall in the city, containing the Aram Khatchaturian concert hall, the National Theatre of Opera and the Alexander Spendiarian ballet.
Sited adjacent to Tamanian’s Republic Square and Cascade Stairwell, this magnificent structure is centrally located within Yerevan proper and one of the most visible structures in the country.
Since its opening in 1933, the 1,260 person theater complex has acted as host to over 200 international operas and has gained international recognition for its superior acoustic qualities. Each of its constituent parts were designed by Tamanian as self-sufficient ampitheaters and its stone construction and acoustic-generated form dampens unnecessary noise reflection, resulting in superior sound transmission.
The theater was awarded a gold medal at the International Exhibition in Paris in 1936.