The latest issue of eVolo Magazine is focused on tall buildings.
As with the previous issue, the magazine is divided in two parts. The first includes news and opinion, featuring projects such as MahaNakhon by Ole Scheeren + OMA, the Phare Tower by Morphosis or the Miyi Tower by Studio SHIFT + SWA Group. What I really liked on this section is an article titled “Pixelated tectonics: Unitized Aggregation Techniques and Formal Organizations” by Elie Gamburg, on which he analyzes the Sky Village by MVRDV and the Le Project Triangle by Herzog & de Meuron
The second part, “Depth”, includes over thirty towers from the eVolo Skyscraper 09 Competition.
More details after the break:
It has been a tremendous satisfaction to compile this issue about the past, present, and future of the skyscraper. No other architectural genre captures our imagination and reflects our cultural and technological achievements like these towers that pierce the sky. We start off with the history and evolution of building high, from the Egyptian pyramids, Gothic cathedrals, and first American skyscrapers, to the contemporary reality in Asia and the Middle East.
We present two fascinating interviews. The first one is with Carol Willis, the founder and director of the Skyscraper Museum in New York City, who explains the true genetics and economics behind the birth and future of the skyscraper. The second one is with Italian artist, Giacomo Costa, who shares his vision about “the relationship between the natural environment, human activity, and supernatural reality” with provocatives images of an apocalyptic urban future.
- From the Editorial, eVolo Magazine
Editor-in-chief / Creative Director: Carlo Aiello Editors: Paul Aldridge, Noémie Deville, Anna Solt, Jung Su Lee
Language: English Cover: Paperback Pages: 200 Dimensions: 11.5 x 9.1 x 0.8 inches ISBN: 978-0981665825
1. Editorial Editor’s Letter / Carlo Aiello
2. News MahaNakhon: The New ‘Gran Metropolis’ of Bangkok / Office for Metropolitan Architecture Indigo Tower: Bio-Purification Tower
3. Opinion Pixilated Tectonics: Unitized Aggregation Techniques and Formal Organization Making the Future Real The Phare Tower / Morphosis Architects On the Business of (tall) Buildings and Verticality Interview with Carol Willis The Poetics of the Situation / Signal Tower: Atelier Jean Nouvel The Push Skyward The Miyi Tower / Studio SHIFT + SWA Group What Dreams May Come Programmatic Evolution of the Skyscraper / Al Sharq Tower and Lotte Busan Tower: Skidmore Owings and Merrill The Future of the Skyscraper Discovering Costa: Interview with Giacomo Costa And then the Sky told the Earth: “I have an itch” Tales of the Woolworth Building Manhattan Fever
4. Depth 2009 Skyscraper Competition Neo Arc The Living Bridge Vertical Farm Vertical Wetland Tower Vertical Ecology Redux Volutes Favela Skyscraper Bio-City Urban Stakes Land-Scraper Intension Algorithmic Tower Slumdog Super structure Nature of Nature Trabeculae Skyscape Reforesting Tower Alchemorphis 21st Century Skyscraper Metropolitan Veil 2019 Bioclimatic Helices Instant High-Rise: Rapid Infrastructure Deployment Space High-Rise Vertical Nation Waltz of the Wind Biomorphic Urban Nebulizer Adaptive Tower System Sky-Terra
5. Catalog Aranda / Lasch
Buy this book